Any pine, or just southern yellow pine?

I’ve been searching the archives but I can’t find the definitive answer of which type of wood is prohibited. I was told today that I couldn’t work on my wood because it was pine (it might be fir or poplar, but it’s def not southern yellow pine). If it’s ALL pine, then that nice vinyl lettering on the jointer needs to be revised.

@IanLee For the definitive answer. But my recollection is that this has only ever been intended to be southern yellow pine because of its really high pitch content. But for some reason, people keep trying to pull in all pine, which is a nuisance because white pine is often not distinguished from fir or spruce at lumber yards, or at least not in framing grades.

But to the best of my recollection, white pine has never officially been more possibly temporarily banned.

That said, I would personally be kind and try to avoid any high sap sections going through DMS equipment not just because it really messes up the cutter heads and sandpaper, but also because if my project is worth using the jointer, planer, or any of the sanders, I really don’t want the sapwood anywhere near that project.

1 Like

My understanding is that it is only SYP, and only on the Jointer and Planer. The thread above is a discussion from a few years ago that is kind of an interesting read with a bit of history.

The Woodshop wiki, which is supposed to be the definitive source, shows the following right at the top of the section:

6 Likes

I believe she was asking what the rule is, not how to recognize yellow pine from not yellow pine. Sounds like someone in the shop was confused as well. @kbraby seems to corroborate that there has been some confusion over that rule in the past as well. I don’t specifically recall going over pine identification in woodshop 101 myself, although it’s been 4+ years since I took it so maybe the current classes have some example pieces :slight_smile:

1 Like

Look man if you don’t know just say so!

There’s a difference between mansplaining and explaining. Mansplaining is when you condescendingly (that means meanly) explain something to someone as if they were an idiot (that means stupid). Explaining means that you assume they have the same base level knowledge (that means the same as you) and just need clarity (that means more information).

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you for the information. I did some research and what I was using was 1” x 4” poplar or fir—def NOT yellow pine (which looks to be more of a 2x4 thing?)

So in the future, when I am stopped from working in the shop by someone who tells me zero pine species are allowed on the planer or jointer—what is the appropriate, socially acceptable response?

I’ve read a lot of posts about how ‘people with experience’ are tasked with stopping people from making mistakes in the wood shop. But what if they’re wrong? How are you supposed to counter that? Honestly want to know.

In this particular case, just tell them to check the wiki, that it’s only SYP that’s not allowed and only for the planer and jointer.

Edit: apparently it’s already there so not sure why some are confused. oh well

2 Likes

“Thanks for sharing that information. This isn’t SYP. KthksBye.”

already there…