Any Leather classes for learning cutting and sewing?

I’ve done leather tooling, but want to learn to make items like pen sleeves and tool cases. Thank you!

I know that @talkers offers a pen sleeve class occasionally. What kind of tool case are you looking to make?

1 Like

Not too specific at first just want to learn the technique and be able to use the sewing machine. I would like to make a case for my mosaic tools and also a leather handle sleeve for my cast iron skillets. I know there was also a class for cutting out leather wth the laser. I’ve not taken a class on the Thunder laser so I’d need to do that, too.

Yep! A couple of things to unpack here:

@talkers also teaches the cutting leather on laser, but you are correct that you’ll need to take laser basics first. It’s actually pretty easy, it’s all about fine tuning your numbers. If you’re more of an adventurous type, after taking the basics class and doing some research, you could probably cut veg tan on your own. Note that we can only cut veg tan - chrome tanned is a BIG no-no; turns out it can possibly release chlorine gas which isn’t great for the machines… or your lungs. So Laser has banned it.

At the moment if you don’t already have Leather 101, you’ll want to take that - that’ll get you access to the hand tools.

As for the sewing machines - we have 3, but they’re currently under the purview of the Sewing SIG. 2 of them are for thinner projects and the last (the Thor) can handle heavy duty leather. I know for sure the Thor has its own checkout class; the smaller ones might be able to be one-on-one checkout but that would be a question for someone more knowledgeable about that.

For smaller projects (the pot handle), you could probably hand-stitch; some people love it, some hate it. But it’s an option. Our beloved former leader Lord @Webdevel made an entire maker bag but hand-stitching it. But that’s personal taste.

2 Likes

Thank you for the much needed info. I’ll be on the lookout for the classes. Anyway to be put on an alert list for new classes?

Hi Liz,

The good news is you have options! The bad news is you need to pick one :slight_smile:

If you’re interested in hand stitching I can certainly help you out. It’s an entirely different skill process from using the sewing machines of course. It would help to know which project you’d like to tackle first.

3 Likes

I’m interested in getting signed off on the Pfaff leather sewing machine, whenever someone is available. Or taking a class on it. Either way.

Cindy

Thank you for your offer. I would want to start with the smallest pot holder with hand stitching. I’ve not done hand stitching on leather; although lots of embroidery. When are you usually at DMS? Although, If you’re thinking of doing a class, I’d be happy to wait and take it then.

One more question, what’s a good source for the thicker leather?

It will be a little while until I post a class of any kind. I’m waiting to see what the new guidelines for teaching are from the BOD. I am planning on being at DMS this Wednesday afternoon however. If you are available I’d be happy to do a little one on one stitching with you to get you started.

As far as where to find leather, the most convenient local places are from Tandy Leather. They have several locations in DFW, however, if we can coordinate a time, I’ll bring some leather from my stash for you.

1 Like

I will be there for a class @5:30. I could come before then. Thank you for the offer and I’d be interested in buying some from you until I know better what to get for my projects.

I will be there by 4 at the latest but hopefully I’ll be there sooner than that. We’ll stitch some handles for your skillets and that’ll be enough to show you the process.

What size skillets do you have?

I’ll bring my medium size cast iron skillet. It has the same size handle as my large one.

I’ve seen a couple of different designs for slip-handles. The simplest is a hollow rectangle whip stitched with leather lacing. Lodge makes these. I’ve used these and they work OK, but are a little sloppy in the fit.

The second style I’ve seen is a simple foldover knife sheath style (usually without a welt, though). I see no advantage of these over the first design, and is probably more comfortable with a particular hand, depending on where the seam is.

I’ve seen what I think is a better design: it is made of 4 oz leather and uses overlapping flaps to allow a tighter fit while still being able to be slipped on and off. A little more work to design the cutout. This one is sewn on all edges, but this is cosmetic: only the back arc is triple-thickness sewn and holds the handle together. This allows the front to flare and slip over the wider back of the handle.

I would cut out a wide rectangle/trapazoid, fold in thirds, sew the back arc across all three layers, then trim to the sewn line.

Drill down into the link to see other views.