Any interest in a VERY basic Raspberry Pi 3 class?

It is to put a little “skin in the game” for people that register. There have been many classes in the past where people sign up for multiple classes and show up for one, blocking others from being able to sign in.

3 Likes

Way to go @StanSimmons. No shows and late cancellations are a real frustration especially in limited size classes with full registration and empty seats.

Signed up for the first one. Running by Tanners today to see if I can pick up hardware.

1 Like

I fully support this point, because you know, my opinion has a ton of weight behind it right. :wink:

1 Like

Update: Tanner’s is currently sold out. Will have the kit stuff in on Thursday.

1 Like

Tanner’s is currently sold out

Oops… I might have contributed to that the other day when I ordered a few for VCC and SDC so we had some Pis at the space which members could badge in and out of the committee area for working on projects at the space.

LOL. I guess it is a good thing I put the class so many days out.

1 Like

Are you sure it’s not because you just like working with skin?

1 Like

It puts the lotion on it’s skin…

1 Like

That is just so much creepier coming from a leatherworker

4 Likes

I’m really excited about this, and I ordered all my stuff today. The only RP thing I’ve ever done is make a little RetroPie, but all I did was follow instructions. Had no idea what I was actually doing.

I signed up for this class but it’s not appearing on my ‘attending’ list under ‘my account’->‘attending events’.

Thinking that maybe I hadn’t clicked on the final ‘submit’ button, I tried to sign up again but got a message stating that my email had already been used to register.

This is the first time that an event for which I’ve registered hasn’t shown up on my attending list.

Is this normal and correct?

You signed up while not logged in to the calendar. You are on the list as a non-member. You are ok.

As someone who has never even seen a Raspberry PI, this class was great. A little history, very little work, and I walked out with a working computer. Highly encourage anyone interested to attend. Thanks Stan!

8 Likes

Two more Very Basic Raspberry Pi 3 classes are up on the Calendar.

Wed Aug 1 7pm — 9pm
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6936

Sat Aug 4 7pm — 9pm
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6937

6 Likes

Tanner Electronics has about 100 used Raspberry Pi 2b’s that he is selling for $6.95 each. He is giving Makerspace members a very special price of $5 each. The RPi2b doesn’t have WiFi, but that is the major difference from the 3B.

1 Like

We need to get a few for the RFID readers. We are planning on using USB dongles with external antennas anyway.

Why not just use pi zero-w? Sure it is $10, but a smaller footprint and already has wifi. Not sure what your cost is on the external antennas, but total cost should be comparable.

Tanner Electronics also has about 300 of the PiFace Digital v2.1 boards for $3.95 each. The PiFace Digital has two 10A relays, 8 digital inputs, 4 switches, 8 leds and 8 digital outputs. I think these might work well for some of our projects.

2 Likes

Because it will be in a metal box that doesn’t allow wifi and most people do not have the skills required to solder on the small external antenna lead. It is just far easier to assemble for people.

2 Likes