Any interest in a VERY basic Raspberry Pi 3 class?

I’m thinking about doing a very basic Raspberry Pi 3/3+ class. It would go over the main functional parts of the RPi3, what power supplies to get, hooking up a HDMI monitor keyboard and mouse, formatting and installing the Raspbian OS, initial setup and configuration, connecting to Ethernet or WiFi, browsing the internet, and a very short introduction to Libre Office. This will let you use the RPi3 as a useful workstation at home.

Also covered: the Official Raspberry Pi Case, the Raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen, the Raspberry Pi Touchscreen Case ane the SmartiPi adjustable case.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6506 Wed 7/18/18 7PM
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/6507 Sat 7/21/18 7PM

10 Likes

Yes very interested to learn from the wisdom you have to share. I have a raspberry pi and am waiting for a Raspad by sunfounder. It was a kickstarter so it’s late beyond its ship date but hope it’s worth the wait.

1 Like

Though I have already done a Pi “installation,” I am interested, especially if there was an additional option to build a PiBook.

2 Likes

I think this will start to fill a gap in our wonderful offering of classes. The RPi gets awesome publicity in the hobby electronics area and many first time purchasers don’t seem to understand that they are buying a computer system. This should be a very popular class to offer on a regular schedule and hopefully will lead to other RPi classes.

Yes - very

I would be very interested. Does it go over some of this material?

https://makezine.com/2017/09/07/secure-your-raspberry-pi-against-attackers/

I’m all for anything that helps people secure their IOT devices. Too many things are being hacked these days.

1 Like

I’ll cover the password stuff, and turning off any unused services, as that is all in the GUI config screen and is very basic stuff.

The good stuff like private keys, iptables, updates, backups, custom images, etc. will be covered by more intermediate and advanced classes.

I plan for this to be a very basic class, only covering hardware assembly and initial setup as a tiny, low power, silent desktop for web surfing and light word processing.

I’m in. Will bring my boys too.

Yes! And can I bug you with rasp questions when I see you from time to time? (To time to time?)

Can you cover the Raspberry Pi Zero W?

Don’t you already? :wink:

I thought about doing the RPiW too, but it is significantly different from the RPi3B+. It would be an excellent 2nd or third class.

As someone very interested in getting hands on with it I would very much appreciate a class.

I’m VERY basic so I’d be VERY interested, like talk to me like I’m 5 basic, yeah?

I’m very interested in what classes/group projects would develop from this class. Using a Pi as a personal firewall/Pen Tester, RetroPie, PiBook, etc.

I am very interested in this class. Just depends on the day and time. Have you narrowed it to any specific days of the week yet?

personal pentest / firewall

Life hacker has an article on building a portable station and threre a distro called fruitywifi that makes a pi act like a hak5 wifi pineapple. As for firewall take a look at the Pi Hole and the IEEE article on firewall application on SOHO networks with Raspberry Pi and snort. Naturally each one of these applications(ie wifi station, firewall, pi-hole) would need its own board to cover the constraints from the Pi itself

Luckly its not that hard to build a small wall mounted “server room” / homelab using a DIN rail system with POE to power a cluster of Raspberry Pi’s. Throw in hypriot and one has a rather amazing stack of “servers”.

Works great when bonding a few usb ethernet cards and raid via usb.

VCC has a demo of this in the museum.

1 Like

This is what I was thinking about for the pi pentester …

I haven’t been onsite much this year, I’ll have to stop in to see what you have added to VCC.

1 Like

Ah… so a usb injector. Interesting.

I was playing around with this kind of stuff about four years ago back when only option one had was to hand build everything using blackarch and some usb wifi adaptors.

Best think I could ever suggest to anyone is just get the hardware, google dork a bit where needed and try to make it work for you. One always hacks to learn, never learning how to hack, or should i say h4x.

I’ve got the setup and install phase of the RPIs down pretty well.

I’d love to see a hardware interfacing class for them though. I haven’t dug into that aspect yet. I know there are cables that let you break the GPIO headers out to a breadboard friendly setup. Jim had some at Tanners a few months ago.

3 Likes

Probably gonna need some of these:
http://www.ti.com/logic-circuit/voltage-level-translation/overview.html?keyMatch=logic%20level%20shifters&tisearch=Search-EN-Products
Haven’t played with any of these yet. The “Auto bidirectional” and “Application specific” parts look interesting.

That’s the sort of stuff I know I’ll need, but haven’t dug into yet.