Any interest in a reclaimed wood SIG?

I keep seeing ads for free firewood, free pallets and crates, free used fencing and even a free barn!

I know this is often green wood and often wood of unknown origin in the case of pallets.

But, free wood is free wood, and I’m always in favor of using reclaimed wood if possible.

Does anyone else feel this way? Would anyone like to see if we could do more to sustainably source wood?

I saw a reverse nailer for disassembling pallets, and I’m intrigued with what we could make without cutting down extra trees.

There are often very large and long branches around the neighborhood for curbside pickup, and I am itching to make a live edge table with resin that looks like a river. Heck, I’d even learn how to use a chainsaw for this!

Anyone interested in exploring the idea together?

It’s likely we would also consider looking into kiln drying for the live edge branches and trunks that are often advertised as firewood.

2 Likes

I have a passing interest in “urban lumberjacking” (harvesting trees cut down in urban/suburban locales), but never have had enough to actually do anything with it. I’ll confess that using wood from pallets (specifically), barns, fences, and that ilk interests me naught if I’m using the 'Space’s woodshop because it’s wicked hard on the equipment. But if I had my own stuff to tear up, I’d try more of it…

Good luck in your quest!

PS love watching Matt Cermona-type stuff!
This is a close as I’ll likely get to actually doing any of this, but if the opportunity presented…who knows?

2 Likes

Matt’s channel changed substantially once he started harvesting trees, a la @jeffbob.

@Holliday interesting idea. Found wood is a fun alt for many people.

2 Likes

If you call any tree service they can turn you on to a plethora of wood.
If you need some advice on what equipment you will need just let me know.

I have been cutting my own trees for 10 years. Not a lot but I could do ten

times the amount if I wanted to. You need to have a plan and a use.

Remember, an inch a year to dry unless you want to pay for a kiln of which

there are not a lot in the Metroplex.

Free is a nice word. My favorite. When I was younger it only had 3 letters

but we move on.

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW

[email protected]

4 Likes

Lolol, I :blue_heart: you

1 Like

I watched the group build of the mill with April. If I only had more time, more space & more money.

2 Likes

Honesty got me where I am . Not sure if that is a good thing.
Sorting some things out. I reupped my website.

Liveedgemesquite.com is now viable. Now to find out where to sell

my wares. Off to sleep now.

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW

[email protected]

1 Like

I am getting a 404 response.

Wonder how useful a wood drying kiln would be for the space? Are they ridiculously expensive?

Just be careful with doing things with pallets. They get treated with some pretty nasty chemical concoctions to keep pests away. They also have lots of nails and staples to be dealt with.

I thought there was a ban on using pallet wood in the woodshop because of the chemicals?

Thanks. I will contact them when they roll into work in California.
It might have been a long day surfing.

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

[email protected]

I got a 404 also

I just reset yesterday and now called and they said they turned it on.
I do appreciate it.

I am fixing to gear up my business. My “real” job is fading and I don’t want

to fade with it.

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

[email protected]

Thanks for letting me know. Got it, no pallets. What about reclaimed fencing and barn wood, is that allowed in the space, @Raymond? I’m still new and learning the rules.

I know the feeling. Please let me know if I can help, @jeffbob. I’m pretty good at online marketing and connecting people.

• Holly
1 Like

My shake, and I’m no official: fence wood may have been treated with stuff we don’t want in the shop. Raw barn wood, one cleared of foreign objects, would probably not present a problem.

1 Like

Thank you for answering, everyone. Maybe this could be an informal thing instead of a SIG for now.

Looks good now!

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’d say Mesquite is rare… It’s growing all over my ranch. Large Mesquite is rare. Even the oldest trees around my place are only about 8" in diameter. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I took it off about a year and a half ago.
Can’t serve two masters. Now it’s time to update and start a blog.

If you have any trees in your yard watch out for them. I have 6

chain saws and am always on the move at night to harvest. LOL.

Jeff Whitcomb

2100 Bowling Green

Denton, TX 76201

800-969-9368

cell-903-203-9463

[email protected]

2 Likes