Any interest in a photographer's group?

I’m not really into photography but I am REALLY into “show and tell”. I have never met a true believer in any type of hardware that wasn’t interested in show and tell.

Bring your pride and joy tonight. I’ll be interested in seeing it.

Russell Ward

1 Like

This is very much a chat and a discovery of what/who/when we would like to do as a group. But as @Gimli said below, we can all appreciate a show and tell. I don’t know how much room are we going to have since the room is small + I don’t have a good idea of how many people are attending. But yes, bring it! :wink:

I didn’t bring anything - I figured this was a “What do we want to do” meeting and a go from there get together.

1 Like

Hey y’all, it was great meeting everyone in person. Turns out the group is a ‘big’ deal… we are trending already :slightly_smiling_face: But seriously, thank you @Photomancer, @Coul for pointing the group in the right direction. It looks like the [email protected] email is already working in case you want to send in your info as @Coul was trying to do earlier.

I am sure there is more coming… I’ll keep you posted.

David

5 Likes

Sorry I couldn’t make it. I’m working hard to get ready for the Texas Pinball Festival where I’ll have a vendor booth.

RJ

2 Likes

We had a great turnout with 15 people. Great ideas, all kinds of cool things people talked about all things photography. A good # of us there were fairly new to DMS, some of the longer term members gave great inputs of what we should do next as a SIG. Next meeting is 3 weeks out on Tue the 13th at 7:30pm. :camera_flash::movie_camera:

4 Likes

I am also nearby. Flower Mound. I trip looking for Coyotes in Denton County would be interesting.

I counted 20 different people at one point, several people left early and several came in late.

It was impressive how many new members (less than 3 months) there were - a lot of new faces for me which is fantastic. It is great that new members got a chance to see how interest in various activities can be pursued at DMS - if there are folks with a common interest you can purse it and make it happen. The Space can virtually be whatever the members want it be It is Their Dallas Makerspace - they ARE the organization not merely a part of.

I think I counted 4 or 5 members that said they could teach classes (I never miss an opportunity to ask) over fair range of courses. many will make use of the the editing computers in DM and the new Engineering work stations that @LukeStrickland was assembling out in the common area. Will be great when that area is up and running.

1 Like

We need to arrive early in the morning at LLELA and have an outing for picture taking as a group. There have been a few bald eagles spotted there.

5 Likes

LLELA sounds good. I haven’t been there in a decade (I chaperoned my kids field trips) so I am going to need your guidance in case we need to ask for permissions and such. @Photomancer is being very kind and going through setting up our group online presence at DMS. Once that’s in place, we can bounce all kinds of ideas among the group members. I look forward to having meet-ups, talks, walks etc…etc… you name it.

1 Like

@PearceDunlap is helping with Dischord, other with the Wiki, FB, etc.

Thank you @PearceDunlap

Just tried the email [email protected], got a bounce back…

Uhmm… just tried and my email went through fine ([email protected]). Weird…

I would be interested.

@StanSimmons I just tried to send from my yahoo account and not a google account, got this message. Not sure what the issue is.

LLELA is great! I snapped this photo with an old canon rebel about a year ago when I was last out there

2 Likes

Also, as @Nagyk and @Photomancer got a bounced back when I send emails from a non-GMail account (email sent from my GMail account worked fine). Same canned response from the Google group support:

We’re writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (Photography) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren’t able to post:

• You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
  • The owner of the group may have removed this group.
  • You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
  • This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at https://support.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/bin/topic.py?topic=25838.

Thanks,
dallasmakerspace.org admins

Hi folks, sorry I didn’t see this sooner. I don’t visit the DMS forum often. The photography group at DMS has been dormant for quite a while. We used to be pretty active and had a lot of film photographers as well as digital. If the DMS blog or wiki still exist you can find stuff there about what the group got up to. We operated a darkroom at the first two DMS locations. The current location was a lot less convenient for some of us and things kind of fizzled after the move. We’re all still active doing photography just not at DMS. I’d be happy to see the photography group revived. If I can be of any help let me know. Drop me an email or contact me on IG, FB, or Flickr.

Update: ha, just checked and the old blog and wiki articles are still there but, ironically, all the photos and videos have been removed from them. Looks like whoever maintains the blog/wiki removed the YouTube and Flickr extensions so all the media content vanished. Here’s a link to the Dallas Makerspace Flickr group where most of our members posted DMS-related stuff:

Photos of Dallas Makerspace projects and events. Dallas Makerspace is the first hackerspace in Dallas, Texas. The group is a collaborative community workshop where artists, engineers, makers, creators, and thinkers learn from each other and work...

-Steve

Hi Steve,

I did find y’all old group page but, like you said, it looked ‘inactive’. I just put a call out there to see if there was any interest, and our very first VERY informal meeting had 20 people in the room!!

More experienced members are helping jump starting the group again since most of us are newish to DMS. There is a domain name being setup, a Wiki, and a couple of other things. I think a DMS Facebook Photography Group page is important for the group members to organize/communicate/share photos and that’s also being looked at. The next meeting will be on Tue 20th at 7:30. I hope to meet you then.

1 Like