Any interest in a photographer's group?

Hi neighbor! I’m over in the area behind where Kroger’s used to be.

I shoot a compact mirrorless (Olympus E-PL3) and Canon (Rebel T5) for stills and have a couple HDR-A21 Sony ActionCams and a Vixia HF R800 for motion video.

I like to shoot outdoors - wildlife, scenic, and a lot of travel photos plus I do some video for my YouTube channel for my arcade business. (Although I’m way behind on putting up content)

I’d love to learn more about manual modes on the cameras as I think I have a handle on all the automatic stuff and different picture color modes. I’m using Sony Movie Studio Platinum for video editing, Camtasia for recording videos with slides for work, and a very old version of Photoshop Elements for editing some picture basics.

I’m proficient enough to “teach”. I’ve taught a few people, I wouldn’t consider myself a pro but have a handle on it all well enough to explain. Let me know if you need help anywhere. My style is more photojournalistic than a studio artist. The main theme of my advice is just to “Get out there and practice and Youtube where you need”. I have a website but made that primarily because I am always looking to expand the maker in me.

Anyhoo, I think this is a cool idea which could trickle into other areas of the Makerspace - wood working, laser cutting, crafting, modpodging, screen printing, etc.

1 Like

Hello neighbor. I have a OMD-EM5 myself… love this little thing. I hope to meet you at DMS.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer. I hope you can make it to the meeting and bring some experience. I agree with the “just get out there” philosophy. One reason to set this up is to have a group of folks that can do some of the outings together. I think the learning would be faster instead of doing it alone.

FWIW, we already have a Photography Special Interest Group (SIG) at DMS. Here is the Wiki page.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/w/index.php?title=Photography_Interest_Group&oldid=22424

Not sure if/how active the group currently is, but you might reach out to Steve Rainwater, aka @steevithak, and ask him about the group and the best way to help re-energize the SIG.

1 Like

I’d say not active for a couple of years. But no reason it can’t be resurrected.

Yup, that’s the page I was referring to in the original post. I am all for resurrecting, resuscitating or relaunch… :slightly_smiling_face: . If we need to start over, so be it. Steve Rainwater @steevithak, if you are at all interested or have any ideas, please let us know. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve been concentrating on flash photography these last few years. I’d be interested in helping a few people get a deeper knowledge of it.

3 Likes

Thank you. In a couple of days, the meeting should be posted… I hope to see you there.

It is in the Pending Review Queue and should appear on the calendar around 10:20 or the 22nd (Thursday)

1 Like

I was hardcore black&white, develop my own film and photos until I moved back to Texas 8 years ago and all my negative books, cameras and darkroom equipment were stolen. I have a Nikon 5200 DSLR that I haven’t loved enough. Maybe it is time.

2 Likes

Just had a call from someone interested in photography, they’ll be at meeting.

1 Like

Nice…

I’m sure you know, is the digital media room the one adjacent to the common area with all the desktops? The door just passed the vintage computers’ display case?

That’s the one. It might be cozy in there depending upon how many sign-up for the meeting.

There is a sign ON AIR at door and has a Blue Wall inside.

:slight_smile: If need I hope we can migrate outside or the lobby…

BTW I have a few question/points for the meeting. Let me know if you think it’s a good start:

• What should this group do?
  • Photo meet/walks around town or even longer distance trips?
  • Have contests at DMS? Or around town?
  • Interested in having a space (or a corner) at DMS dedicated to Photography with a desktop powerful enough to run Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.?
  • Using the large format photo printer?
  • How about framing photographs? Know-how, equip?
  • Studio with lights and backdrops?
  • Fundraise for charities by selling photographs?
1 Like

Just the quick thoughts but basically: If the group wants to do it, it is empowered to do it. Need to get the group up and going, organized, have a agenda of things to do and a plan to execute them. This start-up meeting will get things going.

What should this group do? TBD at Meeting. It can be expansive

Photo meet/walks around town or even longer distance trips? If group wants to, can do.

Have contests at DMS? Or around town? If group wants to, can do. Once going start to organize these

Interested in having a space (or a corner) at DMS dedicated to Photography with a desktop powerful enough to run Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.? Digital Media has those now and new works stations will have that capabilty. DMS has Adobe Creative Cloud.

Using the large format photo printer? CA is planning on buying one soon

How about framing photographs? Know-how, equip? One of our members is a professional framer and co-owner of a framing business. We’ve had classes in the past and have some framing classes. Some taught by Woodshop.

Studio with lights and backdrops? There are currently some available in terms of lights. Future acquisitions the group can discuss and do

Fundraise for charities by selling photographs? Doable. Future activity

1 Like

Interested. I’m a traditional darkroom and alt photo printer but I’ve been pretty lax since moving to Texas 3 years ago. This year I plan on jumping back into art shows.

2 Likes

I’d be very interested! I won’t be able to make it to the meeting on Tuesday but I will try to come to the next one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Turns out I’ll be able to make it tonight for moral support of all things photography! Do I need to bring some equipment or is this more of a chat?

If you’re keeping an eye on this still let me know so I can plan accordingly. If I don’t hear anything I’ll leave my stuff at home. :slight_smile:

Thanks,