Any interest in a class on how to make non-traceable ice bullets?

Nathan,

JAG, I didn’t think you were talking about a specific application. I figured you were joking, I’ve read your tag lines before

Thank you for understanding and taking the time to be open to talking with me!

But it’s a conversation that has the potential to go down a very disturbing (to me) rabbit hole.

I can understand where you are coming from and I want to respect your feelings. To be honest, I am not a big fan of hunting as I don’t like the idea of harming animals unless in self-defense, but I have seen some discussion of how to dress deer and so forth on here.

I will often mute a topic if I don’t like it, or am not interested in it. For what it is worth, I have observed that accepting our shadow side is healthier than suppressing it and having open discussions with others (particularly when done in a light-hearted fashion) actually PREVENTS things from LITERALLY going down the darker rabbit hole you fear.

And mythologically, the descent into the METAPHORICAL Underworld is often a necessary step in The Hero’s Journey.

Does that concept make any sense?

JAG “Channeling the Spirit of Joseph Campbell” MAN

Of course, it goes back to Orpheus, to Persephone, Odin on Yggdrasil, even Jesus (there was a medieval tale of “The Scourging of Hell” that talked of Jesus decending to Hell to beat up demons during the three days before he rose from the crypt), even Buddha under the Bodhi tree may be considered an underworld journey - there are stories that he was attacked by demons trying to disturb his mediation.

Perhaps my concerns would have been better phrased as, how can we make this into a more pratical application and conversation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nathan,

Of course, it goes back to Orpheus, to Persephone, Odin on Yggdrasil, even Jesus (there was a medieval tale of “The Scourging of Hell” that talked of Jesus decending to Hell to beat up demons during the three days before he rose from the crypt), even Buddha under the Bodhi tree may be considered an underworld journey - there are stories that he was attacked by demons trying to disturb his mediation.

Excellent examples!

Perhaps my concerns would have been better phrased as, how can we make this into a more pratical application and conversation.

That is worded in a more concise fashion and actually, another practical application occurred to me while finishing off my fruit smoothie.

The class would have merit from a literary standpoint.

How so?

I used to do screenwriting and found a book that was a writer’s guide to weapons and it discussed how many authors made very amateurish mistakes when describing combat or the appropriateness, feasibility, etc.

There is at least one writer’s group at DMS that I am aware of, and if someone wanted to write a mystery based on “the perfect crime”, it is often helpful to know the details of how to go about doing such and such. I remember coming across an article discussing how very difficult it is to make a silver bullet (better off with just raw buckshot in a 12 gauge) to take down a lycanthrope.

There is nothing like “hands-on” to be able to write about what you know.

JAG “Method Writing for Adventure Authors” MAN

2 Likes

An ice bullet would make an excellent plot device in a “locked room” mystery novel. Probably already has…

1 Like

An ice bullet would make an excellent plot device in a “locked room” mystery novel. Probably already has…

Years ago as a child, I read a mystery story set in winter. The victim was discovered with a bloody stab wound with a somewhat watery quality, but the weapon could never be found.

Guess what the weapon was…

JAG “Death By Slurpee Squad” MAN

How about we make silver nitrate bullets like Kate Beckinsale used to kill Lycans in the movie Underworld?

Several stories feature ice bullets as part of their plot lines, including some made into movies. They are all ridiculous. Ice bullets are completely impractical, as the forces necessary to accelerate the bullets would shatter them.

Perhaps you missed my original post, where I mentioned that I have a working prototype.

Water-soluble metal is a much better quantum plot device - especially if its physical properties are close to lead. I believe that such a compound has been known for decades; I recall it being breathlessly described and demonstrated on that staple of the Discovery Channel in the 90s - Beyond 2000. It didn’t react as violently as sodium/potassium group metals either - took a few minutes to dissolve.

oh ye keeper of the faith in the church of the Mythbusters.

What he said. Hence the interest.

As a youngster (4th grade) I wrote for an assignment a “Sherlock Holmes” story including the use of ice bullets…
That probably has nothing to do with what you said, being a child and it certainly was no novel, but it’s what pops into my head. Also, it backs up my being the first to respond as a life-long conspirator in the “ice bullets are totally possible” wing at the local “facility”…

@wandrson I will bite. On your prototype what caliber are you using and what propellant? Since frozen water has a lower density than unfrozen water I am curious as to how many grains the bullet comes out to be. I ask this because to be a “Working Prototype” the bullet must be able to be fired at a distance and the bullet weight will determine trajectory, power at impact, penetration etc. From what I see to meet you requirements of untraceable it would just make more sense to use the various shot shells available in pistol calibers. (I am assuming this is only for discussion purposes and not to harm a human being)

Well you have made some interesting assumptions, most of which are not applicable.

It’s caliber is 7.62x39, because that was the minimum mass needed to cool my drinks. After all what other purpose does ice have? But this version works well.

Must admit I am disappointed that our members proved so rational that they didn’t start decrying the ‘horrible’, ‘nasty’ bullet. :wink:

1 Like

This is pretty close, innit?

Based on your picture from the first post, and your response above, are you sure your calendar didn’t tell you the date was April 1?

Man, I KNEW I wanted more information. I was all excited that you’d found a way to shoot a solid water round out of a gun and successfully penetrate a target at some distance exceeding arm’s length…
http://uncrate.com/stuff/ak-ice-tray/
even found the picture…

sigh

Nah, I thought Nathan provided a rational response.

1 Like

Better Drink Bullets

I like these better as they do not water down the effect on the target

1 Like

Have you looked at Pykrete? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was thinking… pykrete bullets

It looks like it can be shot without a lot of damage, but I’m sure at a 7.62mm size it would disintegrate into moist saw dust.

1 Like

totally ruins the non-tracability…

1 Like

I think we’re on the wrong end of the verb here…