Any interest in a class on how to make non-traceable ice bullets?

I think I have perfected these, any interest in a class on this?

2 Likes

I’d like more info, but my knee jerk reaction:

Heyuhl yeah!

Had some ideas on these over the years, but keep telling myself I’m crazy and besides, I don’t want to meet the market for such demands…

Might I suggest laser beams as a longer shelf life alternative? :smiley:

1 Like

I picture a Banana magazine that with Blue Ice around it - otherwise all you’ve got is gas propellant squirt gun after a few moments.

1 Like

These only work in a single shot kind of operation. And even then you need to load and fire with reasonable alacrity.

is that like a Mad magazine?

eh
ell
eh
see
are
aye…
:smiley:

Nope it refers to a curved magazine with a shape like this,

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_078000107_1.jpg

As I said above, my ice bullets are really single shot type. At least at this stage, until I can find a compound with a more stable frozen structure.

tough call given water’s almost unique bi-polarity. I say almost because I’m sure there are others, but I’m having trouble getting google to cough one up and, even when/if I figure out others, I bet they’re not “frozen bullet friendly”…
then there’s the non-traceability…

1 Like

The problem with laser beems is that they fail to meet one of the design criteria. Non traceability. A laser that can kill leaves a readily identifiable signature.

I would be interested in that class. What kind of velocity are you looking for and what propellant do you plan on using?

If you aren’t planning on pistol or rifle velocitys and for testing you might try something like Speer plastic bullets and cases. http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/plastic_training_bullets.aspx

Russell

Ice-9.
“When in the Course of Human Events…”

2 Likes

Love Vonnegut, may have to pick a copy up again.

We had this stuff called cerralow in our lab back in undergrad that was a VERY low melt (eutectic) metal. Like melted in hot water melting point. Could be an interesting alternative.

Cerralow is related to Woods Metal from what I recall and can melt at 117 F. But gallium will melt in your hand at an even lower temp. (85.5 F) Probably foul the barrel, though.

JAG “Snowman Killed by Heat Gun” MAN

1 Like

I would be interesting…if it melted @ ~98.6° F.

Walter,

Definitely - very cool.

Literally.

JAG “30-30 at 30 F” MAN

I would be interesting…if it melted @ ~98.6° F.

Could probably alloy gallium with something else to get that temp.

JAG " Perfect Assassination by Phase Change" MAN

My gut reaction is “why would we want Makerspace attached to this idea?”

My idea for using something like ice for a “bullet” would be for hunting dove, quail, or rabbit; small game that I wouldn’t have to pick birdshot out of the carcass.

Frankly, all this talk of untraceable bullets and “perfect assassination” disturbs me.

Nathan.

3 Likes

Nathan,

My signature lines are a joke, nothing more as I have friends in military / law enforcement and we can have a dark sense of humor. Besides, I never specified a person or even a human target, just a snowman. You inferred that I was speaking of something illegal and I regret that you were disturbed by the subject or discussion.

BTW, your idea for hunting game is a very good application!

JAG “Peace, Meditation, Flowers” MAN

JAG, I didn’t think you were talking about a specific application. I figured you were joking, I’ve read your tag lines before. :wink: But it’s a conversation that has the potential to go down a very disturbing (to me) rabbit hole.

1 Like