Any Interest in a Children/Teen Summer Series?

Hey yall, I’ve been teaching a few acrylic pouring classes that have been open to younger folks. After talking to students and parents, it seems like the Makerspace could use a few more kid friendly classes, so I had some ideas. I was thinking about trying out teaching these classes over the next few months and then when summer hit, maybe having a special few days or a week of an afternoon classroom series for younger folks.
Here are my working ideas for classes I could teach and the appropriate age ranges that could participate:
(I tried putting links but it wouldn’t let me, sorry, if you want a link to one of these projects, please let me know)

Artsy Activities
-Acrylic Pouring, tested with kids and works well, ages 6+ w/ parent supervision (ps)
-Origami Lucky Star Jar, untested, probably ages 8+ w/ limited parent supervision (lps)
-Gel Soap Resist Acrylic Painting, untested, probably ages 8+ w/ps

Building/Active Activities
-Mini Marshmallow PVC Pipe Blow Gun, untested, probably ages 6+ w/lps
-Duct Tape Wallet, untested, probably ages 8+ w/lps

Science Activities
-Dry Ice Bubbles, untested, probably ages 10+ w/ps
-Building a Biosphere, untested, probably ages 8+ w/lps
-Blobs in a bottle (vegetable oil and water containers), untested, ages 6+ w/lps
-Blood Model Bottle, untested, probably ages 8+ w/lps

These are just a few ideas, if you have any more or have any feedback about some of these, please feel free to let me know! As I develop these ideas more, I’ll make teaching guides and hopefully be able to post them on talk too. I’ll update yall as I decide to host the different classes. Also if you have any additional ideas for kid friendly classes, I am open to any/all of them.

5 Likes

Hi there! I’ve been doing some pour art classes in the last few months, but unfortunately my schedule makes it so that I can only really do about 1-2 a month, and they’re more geared towards adults. I think that a kid friendly version would be awesome!

A few weeks ago I did a kid friendly Acrylic Painting for Beginners (during spring break), and had hoped to replicate that in the summer.

Our current issue for acrylic pours is drying space. I have plans for a drying rack, but we simply won’t have space for it in creative arts until after we’ve moved into our new area. Until then I’ve been using space that has been lent to us by the printmaking committee with the understanding that we would be extremely careful and I’m not sure if they would continue to be willing to let us use it for more than the few classes a month I’ve been doing.

If you have the time, I’d love to discuss this with you in person to bounce ideas off each other. I’ll be at the next Creative Arts meeting (Thursday, April 11th at 7pm), or we can find some other time if that doesn’t work for you.

Kid’s crafts that generate Mothers’ Day gifts are also a possibility.

3 Likes

Please remind folks attending that we require at least a 1:1 adult to child ratio for kids under 16 in the space, and the adults need to be in the room with younger kids.

5 Likes

Oh that’s a great idea, I know how to make some pretty awesome soap that looks like gem clusters

2 Likes

Hey Stan,
Thanks for the reminder! Do you have any suggestions I can offer parents who have multiple kids under 16? Especially for single parents or parents where one may be working during the day?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Shay, I will totally check out my calendar and see if I can make it to the meeting! If not I will let you know and we can meet to chat some other time :slight_smile:

I’ve seen scout groups have other adult helpers (including eagle scouts) attend to help keep the kids corralled. If the kids are well behaved, you can probably get by with a few extra kids:adults.

1 Like

I am willing to teach some basic jewelry classes for kids with supervision

I would prefer to teach in a classroom instead of in the workshop, seems sager to me

I will work up some I started making jewelry when I was in the third grade
and I started selling my work in the fifth grade so young foks can make and create
neat items

2 Likes

I’ve been envisioning/working on an introduction to automation class for tweens, allowing them to build an obstacle sensing car with an Arduino Uno microcontroller and a car kit. I was hoping to roll it out in April, but I simply haven’t been able to dedicate the time to get it finished yet.

1 Like

I am happy to jump in on this and offer a ukulele class or other similar music skill development class! It’s what I do in my day job so there is no problem getting a course together.

3 Likes

These look great, especially for classes where we wouldn’t have the materials at home. Thanks for suggesting it!

We’d probably attend in a classroom but not the workshop due to noise.

I could teach STEM classes but would need someone to watch my kiddo if she’s in another class. Or, I could do a different day. I know an algebra technique that makes quadratic equations easy enough for 6 year olds (kids as young as 4 have done it) with blocks. I’ve also been wanting to pilot a computer science robotics class for ages 6-10.

I’m a certified Montessori elementary teacher and can think of loads of things to teach!

1 Like

Hey Bernard, are there any resources you need to help get the class up and running?

Hi Holliday,
In my experience the classrooms work MUCH better anyways whenever having kiddos just because not only is it easier to hear, but there is more room available and fewer distractions. However, I can also see some messier maker space kids projects taking place outside to ease the clean-up, depending on the project :wink:

@Holliday @Liv7301 @Bernard_Gray @Cairenn_Day @BarkingChicken

Since all of yall have expressed interest in teaching a kid friendly class, would it be helpful to have a meet-up sometime next week to throw some ideas around and talk about the best times to have the classes?
If so, feel free to respond with whatever time works best for ya’ll and I will gather a consesus and put it down on the events calendar.

2 Likes

I will be at the space quite a bit this weekend

I would be interested in a meet up. I can teach a child friendly ceramics class. I am available most Tuesday/Thursday evenings and weekends.

I’m co-director of a one week stem program called camp invention.

I also teach two separate weeks of art camp on top of that. If anyone is interested reach out.

1 Like

To be honest, the resources I most need are time and discipline.

1 Like

I have reserved some space in the galley this Saturday at 4:00pm (should show up as an event in 48 hours) unfortunately most of the classrooms were full due to the hack-a-thon, but this should work for just a brief meeting to discuss what kid friendly classes we want and can teach