Any idears for upcycling/repurposing a pair of garage door motors?

I’ve been sitting on a pair of 1/3hp garage door motors after upgrading to some belt driven openers (omg - so much quieter!!) thinking eventually I’d find a way to repurpose them. Thinking about why I hung onto them takes me to their essential qualities, that being an electric motor that comes with:

1. travel limiters and stops (have retained photo eyes also)
  2. remote control functionality and
  3. chain drive output.

Just throwing this out there as a thought experiment to the most creative group of people I know. All ideas are welcome - none are too bazaar (as an example, I’ve considered pairing with an alarm clock to physically hoist my bed dumping me out of it - but decided linear actuators are the only way to go).

Any ideas?

1 Like

rock tumbler motors as mentioned on another thread.

3 Likes

Years ago I knew a woodworker who used one to motor a large screen tv (circa 1985) up and down from the foot of his bed.

I offer the story as an idea for a different use, not a specific suggestion. :wink:

1 Like

No but I do have a lead on some dirt cheap linear actuators and linear motors. I wish I knew what to do with them

1 Like

Interactive Halloween decorations…

4 Likes
1 Like

Why did I immediately think of mechanized guillotine when I read this?

Sounds like you have quite the conundrum MrsMoose, but I’m not sure how that’s relevant to… Wait a second! Is there any chance they’re powerful enough to launch my snoring (not like the aggressive “oh God, I want to smother him” kind of snoring - but more like a soft, gentle kind of cute like a puppy snoring) butt from my bed into the television?

Maybe. Idk how to look af specs and determine such things.

found this and pinned it to my cool ideas board on pinterest - motorized french doors.

2 Likes