Any engineers at makerspace that can give some advice?

@spencleb: don’t ignore or neglect the fact that you have, somewhat at your disposal and probably just for the price of a cup of coffee (so, like, $8-$9), a pool of very experienced hiring managers, e.g. @coloneldan above, that can help you with interview skills. This is very different from networking or gaining actual job skills or writing an effective resume. For instance (seriously), what if you find yourself across from an actual idiot – most commonly found in HR organizations – to whom you will have to relate and impress? This is not as easy as it sounds if you haven’t encountered it. But also, there are many other situations that make for a “difficult” interview and you should try to get as much “mock trial” experience as you can

Also, straight forward interview advice from Mike Rowe…learn it, love it, live it:

4 Likes

If you are a US citizen with clean records, try Raytheon Middle Systems in Tucson AZ or Lockheed Martin Missiles as well as Space systems. Defense companies always hire new grads from good schools and , most importantly, good GPA’s

It can be good, though you competing with everyone else trying to stand out, definately already going to UTD’s and UT Austin’s job expo to see recruiters

Interviewed with Raytheon for a spot in El Segundo that were interested in something niche I learned and elaborated in my cover letter and interview, though the wait is killing me for a yes or no response.

Have you been wearing appropriate attire? (Yes, that is still a thing for some people / some places.) When in doubt, ask.

Font matters. I learned this through a basic black-box test. At the time I had two postal addresses / two phone numbers. I sent two resumes with identical information to each prospective employer using the two different contact methods. One resume had something like Century Gothic; the other a Times Roman. The responses where well mixed (about 1/2 for each font). Only a single prospect realized what I did. Do not repeat my experiment. I guarantee any prospect that realizes what you are doing will blackball you. The way to use this nugget is to eyeball the resumes of people who work there. Want to work at Raytheon? Copy the format and style from the resumes of people who work at Raytheon. Want to work at Boeing? More copying.

Don’t get frustrated. Some companies are horrifically slow. I have had prospects contact me MORE THAN 12 MONTHS after I sent a resume. (For what it’s worth, I would never work at such a place.)

1 Like

Send me your resume, [email protected]

2 Likes

If you didn’t apply to Raytheon in McKinney, you should.

Grew up in Southern California, have lived there 5 different times, working for aerospace primes. Getting a start in the industry with Raytheon would be great! But I would plan on either (A) transferring out of California as soon as you can taking wages with you or (B) getting really really good wages compared to Texas. California is very for housing in LA area is 3X-4X what is is here … in after tax dollars high taxes (look up personal income tax rate if single hits 9.3% around $52K (https://www.tax-brackets.org/californiataxtable), also State Disability-SDI is 0.9% on 1st $110K combined Sales Tax LA county is 9.5%) Check out what just an apartment costs, what car insurance is, cost of fuel (You drive a lot in California, $3.45-$3.89 https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/California/El%20Segundo).

Getting a first job there with a great company may be worth living very so-so on $75K-$80K starting salary to get a start. Good luck, hope you get a good offer. But if you haven’t lived there, unless you get an outsized salary compared to Texas you are going to take a cut in standard of living. But, for a life time benefit - may be worth it. Especially if it is a cool job and a niche like you say.

I’d take Chris’s advice and see if you can get in locally.

1 Like

Want to stand out? Where you can, walk your résumé in and deliver it by hand; when I say “where you can”, that means anywhere you can drive, train, or bus to within a few hours, incl Waco. You don’t have to have a suit of white armor on for this, but dress reasonably well, e.g. business casual.

If at all possible, don’t leave résumé with drone at the front desk…politely, but firmly, insistently, & sincerely** as possible, say I’d like to put this into a hiring manager or HR manager’s hand personally, please. It will only take a few minutes.", then “Please, I am just trying to do what I can to present myself in person to them so they know I am serious about working here. I won’t take up much of their time.”

Realize, the person at the desk is a drone and has absolutely no vested interest in your success, or that of the company, most likely, so…polite, but firm, insistent, sincere**. If you can tear-up on purpose, this might help. You may want to leave for a little while, get some lunch or a coffee, and come back to see if there is a different person at the desk. As a last resort, I’d write, >>neatly<<, in >>blue<< ink something to the effect of "delivered in person, date, time, sincerely, @spencleb.

If you do get to see someone, keep it short and simple a la Mike Rowe: “Hello, thank’s for coming out and seeing me. I’m @spencleb, and I recently graduated from a great school with a great GPA, and I came all the way up here to tell you in person I am really eager and motivated to work here at {Acme Engineering]. Thanks for your time.” If they want to ask you more then and there, they will, but at that point, you’ve done what you can, and they will know it. And get a business card so you can follow up with a simple, handwritten acknowledgment/thank you.

**Sincerity is a hard thing to project, but once you learn to fake it, you’ve got it made!

3 Likes

Contacts are so important. I was lucky and got an intership with Halliburton in 2006. One of the other Interns there turned into a really good friend who finished her degree in 2006. Summer of 2007 rolls around and i need another job i called her as she was an Engineer at a Oil/Gas manufacturer and said i need an internship. she setup the interview with her boss, he hired me on the spot at 15.00 bucks and hour. after 6 months they hired me full time at 25.00 bucks an hour, within 3 years i was running the drafting department making 90k. I never finished my engineering degree. after 9 years i left the company and moved up here to dallas. I got a job instantly but am now finally finishing my ME degree at UNT.

use any college friends you know especially if they graduated a year or 2 above you. you might be limiting your self by focusing solely on the Aereospace stuff, i know you went to school for it, but don’t be afraid to apply for industrial design etc positions. you never know what may happen.

1 Like

I certainly don’t try to limit myself; been opening up to applying industrial and mechanical jobs. Got lucky with a friend in Austin that was able to pass along resume for a favor I once did and was willing to put a good word in. Also while I have little interest in sports plan to head out to TX EXES alumni network meetup just to see if anyone is friendly. certainly hope for the best.

2 Likes