Any DMS Gardeners?

Tried the covers but they always got in sneaky moths and I did not get much of a crop-to make it worth the effort. sprayed with BT as well. I even considered injecting the stems with BT. Then I realized that for me it was not a fight worth fighting.

Yes i plant and tend plants but i don’t have a garden. So i am free labor. Anyone need some semi free labor?

1 Like

I just got a half plot at the Harvest Community Garden & will be learning organic gardening. I’m interested in any tips or classes

1 Like

Just put up a class for Friday April 3 @ 7pm.

5 Likes

Ever considered grafting? Looks like fun.

1 Like

I’m looking into it… looks like I can get Australian finger limes from the TAMU Citrus research extension. Would love if were could get a group buy of bud sticks to bring costs down.

Talked about it in my other thread here: Anyone have any citrus or fruit trees

1 Like

Here is my current “garden” minus the self wicking tubs which we will be putting together tonight and tomorrow.

9 Likes

That looks so cool! Love the raised beds. That’s what I wanna do too.

Anyone know a good place to get soil? I’m starting some raised beds for vegetables now that I’ll be home all day, but I haven’t lived in DFW all that long.

Ive been mixing mine. It’s not as cheap as ordering a truck load.
My SFG has 33/33/33 of peat moss, vermiculite & compost from a few sources.

The tubs I just made have a mix of 2 bags of miracle potting soil, 4 bags of another potting soil ( I forgot the brand) & pearlite. That pretty much made 2 20 gallon wicking tubs & 3 17 gallon wicking tubs.

Ive been wanting to get up to Kingston or call Leons Greenhouse to find out how much they are as it might save me some money.

3 Likes

Depends on how much you need. I’ve been ordering by the cubic yard at Texas Pure Products, but their delivery fee is kind of steep (like $70) so I only order there if I need a lot.

2 Likes

@malcolmputer topped off my raised bed with fresh compost yesterday. I’ve got the garden planned out and am just waiting on the rain to stop to get to planting.

12 Likes

What Mater’s are you going to grow?
I have both determinate & indeterminate tomatoes planted. I have a mix of the two.

Roma’s, Cherry, Early girl, & mortgage lifter

Probably two Big Boys, two early girls, and two cherry tomatoes of some sort. If I can find money makers I’ll probably make those instead of the Big Boys. The money makers are juicier instead of fleshier which makes for a great tomato to eat fresh or can. If I were making a lot of tomato sauces I’d do romas, but most of my canned tomatoes get turned into chilis and soups.

Edit: My skills of growing from a seed are still questionable, so I buy a lot of seedlings instead. If I’d known we’d be home bound I would have started seedlings a few weeks back, but as it stands I’m going to have to make a trip to the feed store.

no garlic?

I planted some garlic last fall, but then I decided that my bed was going to need to be topped off with more (about a foot) compost so yesterday I tried to transplant the garlic into pots to try to salvage them. I’m not sure if they’ll make it, but we’ll see. I’m not super hopeful.

Next fall I’ll do a big garlic and onion push. I’m hoping to eventually grow and preserve enough garlic and onions grown over winter to get me through a good chunk of the year without needing to buy.

Here is my hydroponic garden

It’s a pretty simple setup with brick anchors and lumber to make the outline of the garden.

We use 7 inches of water which is approx 400 gallon and so far has been self sufficient with the rain.

We did a floating panel style that uses 5x10 insulation panels that are 2 inches thick so it should be able to hold a lot.

I also have a aerator that has 10 stones that distribute air through the water.

Then just add powdered fertilizer to keep the water nutrient rich.

9 Likes

Have any more information about your garden setup @Robert_Davidson?

1 Like

Good Idea added more info.

Here are our seedlings about ready for transplant.

Serrano, corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, sweet banana pepper, cayenne pepper, tomatillos.

7 Likes