Any DMS folks do mechanic work? Need a fuel tank pressure sensor replaced

On a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. I can’t find any online documentation on how to do it so figured I’d ask here. Looks like on other car models it needs a lift and I’m not certified for the one we have at the space.

There might de someone at DMS willing to help you do the work, but Policies only allow work on your own vehicle. While helping a Member work on their own vehicle is OK, working on another’s vehicle, especially for pay, is not allowed.

Ah. Well darn.

Like Mike hinted at, nothing at all wrong with finding someone to teach you and walk you through the process. We want people to learn and don’t want to discourage someone from trying (most) new things.

There are stories of bad experiences with commercial use in automotive so some rather restrictive rules are in place to try and prevent it from becoming a problem again.

According to the internet, the sensor is above the fuel tank near the pump. You have to drop the tank to access it. Having a lift makes it slightly easier as you’re standing but you could do it in your driveway on stands or ramps. Downside to the lift would be bearing the weight of tank if it’s not low on fuel

Sounds like running the car down to fumes (while carrying some spare fuel in a can in case you misjudge) would make the process easier.

2 Likes

I dropped the tank on a 2002 Impala, only to see an access port above in the trunk, DOH!

Look in your trunk before you trouble yourself dropping the tank.

2 Likes

Or under the back seat. My sisters Camry was that way.

2 Likes

I pulled the bed off a 94 ford ranger, only to prove that the fuel pump relay was bad, and previously randomly swapping it with the ECU power relay was not a valid troubleshooting test.

Here is a video on how to replace a fuel pump. Seems super straight forward.

And another

Unfortunately I don’t think it’s the fuel pump. It’s the fuel tank pressure sensor. Maybe they’re the same thing, though, I don’t know. Just going off the diagnostic code from Autozone.

In case you missed my comment, the sensor you reference in this post is on top of the tank. The Colbalt doesnt have an access panel in the rear seat area so you must drop the tank to access the sensor. Thus why everyone is linking fuel pump videos

1 Like

Everytime I’ve ever done a fuel pump on my cars or bikes, I’ve always planned on running it down to near empty before I did it. Then Murphy’s Law kicked in and the pump either fails right when I fill my tank or my schedule messes with the plan and I only have time to do it when it’s half full

3 Likes