Any basket weavers?

Baskets have been all over my pinterest feet lately and I have become super interested. Anyone know how to weave baskets at DMS? I would be more than willing to barter my own knowledge in other skills as a thank you.

I’ve been interested in basketry too, as are some other fiber art folks. I’ve woven a couple in distant past and enjoyed.

Interested to see if anyone can teach. When this came up before, it seems like @Cairenn_Day or @dryad2b knew someone. But it didn’t get further.

Once the dust settles on the expansion Great Shuffle, and especially having access to “wet” classroom (currently Galley), there’s a person I located in Arlington awhile back that does nice work and teaches. I’ve thought about approaching her to do a workshop.

2 Likes

Great, that’s awesome! Thank you for your response. I’ll stay in the loop and check back after the move.

1 Like

Yep. And I love them. Will be happy to see what comes of it at DMS.

2 Likes

I do a project with my students called skin and bones - we use reed in a very sculptural way I have them add rice paper and just cheap white tissue paper soaked in modge lodge to create a skin. Sometimes we heatshrink plastic if it fits the form. Reed is amazing. I’ll look up the artist that was at the Crow last year and had a big sculptural project related to Buddhist meditation. It was good stuff.

2 Likes

You WERE talking about teaching occasionally…

1 Like

Sue can teach reed basket at this thime she does not have any materialsWe have 2 excellent basket maker in the Barony Sandi and Karen I will reach out to them and explore them teachering foBYW Would there be any interest in making small wire basletw

1 Like