Any arduino enthusiasts here?

I’m re-taking Mark Rober’s creative engineering course. The second build uses an arduino. I’ll probably need help. Is there any interest in an Arduino SIG? We could use Google meet to get together.

4 Likes

Quite a number of arduino users here, but nobody has stepped up to lead an arduino SIG that I’m aware of. Not sure when I last touched a standard arduino, but I’ve done some stuff with a Wemos D1 mini, an ESP 32, and a couple similar devices programmed through the arduino environment.

4 Likes

If there’s enough interest AND someone steps up to lead the SIG, we can put together a Embedded SIG under Electronics. Covering boards such as Arduino, RPi, Beagle, STM Discovery, etc.

Prior to all the Covid stuff @bpamplin and @NickWebb were our Arduino teachers.

Got questions - create a post and you’ll get a variety of good answers.

3 Likes

I’m a moderator on the Arduino forum. Does that count?

2 Likes

I taught 54 Arduino-ish classes at DMS in the three years before Covid. I’ve currently dropped out of DMS for a while but very interested and cannot avoid checking Talk to see what is happening. If I can help with Arduino or someone setting up a class, send a PM and we can do a phone call.

I still love the old Arduino Nanos but, as @kbraby, like the Wemos D1 Mini - small, cheap, wifi. Beyond those, the sky is the limit and expanding.

My tip of the month is to only do IDE Portable installs. It is very simple and keeps all files in in single directory.

@Brian - Which forum? Of course it counts.

2 Likes

The Arduino forum. :wink:

4 Likes

Does the Pope wear a funny hat? Do bears bears poop in Yellowstone?

Yes, Arduinos rock, and doubly so for ARM Cortex devices. The fact that this stuff is available to the gen pub amazes me!

1 Like

I’d be very interested in learning more about these types of devices, so add me to the list asking for the SIG.

Thanks!

My buddy gave me this I’m trying to figure out what it is. I think it is a sound fx thing lol. I’m familiar with pi’s but I’ve never used this one

Supposed to be one of those things that can intersect tech and art, though the one you have isn’t wired up to do much right now.

Here’s the kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/willpemble/protopalette-for-arduino-0

2 Likes

Looks like an all in one generic experimenter’s platform. Kind of a plug’n play.
Didn’t see any tutorials listed on the link. Any docs come w/ it?
Plenty of docs and how to’s at the Arduino site and others.
Lot’s of sample projects w/ hrdwr and sftwr info.
Pick a project and figure out what needs to be connected to what.

2 Likes

Yeah it is that for sure I just remembered that he said it was a Kickstarter thing for sure. He is in to electronic music and makes it, that’s not my thing but I have a bunch of pi’s and don’t have anything to do with this if someone wants it I’d be glad to give it to someone who would use it. I put some more pics of up too.

1 Like

That is the Pantheon of the Elegoo Detectors Kit. That would be great for the Arduino Detectors Class.

1 Like

I would happily donate it to that class if possible!!

1 Like

Hey @artg_dms

For the box of “Digital I/O Boards” that we have in electronics, it would be easy to connect an Arduino and a small breadboard together with it and do the following:

• Set Arduino Pin function
  • Light LEDs
    ** Single
    ** Cylon flashing
    ** Flashing pattern
    ** Binary counting
  • Read debounced buttons
    ** Turn LEDs on / off
    ** Binary count up or down depending on button pushed
  • Data (DIP) Switches:
    ** Turn LEDs on/off
    ** Preset binary count of LEDs
  • 2 phase Clock Circuit
    ** Use Arduino to drive alternating LEDs

Advanced items could be:

• Light LEDs using a 74LS139 - 2 to 4 decoder - driven by Arduino
  • Light LEDs using a 74LS138 - 3 to 8 decoder - driven by Arduino

We just need instructors…

I was the person that donated these Digital I/O Boards to DMS. There were close to a dozen of them in the box, plenty for everybody to use in a classroom settings. The only problem is that the IC’s are all 5 volt logic. Suggest that the socketed IC’s be swapped out for 3.3 volt compatible devices so they can be used with Arduino’s and Raspberry PI boards.

Think Arduino Uno is 5 Vdc and should be OK
More interesting possibility is using 74HC series. Pwr is 3 - 6 Vdc.
In theory should work w/ 3.3 Vdc system.
On my list of “wander if” builds.

1 Like

jealous… I really want to take it but haven’t got the time or money lying around!

I got a pack of these 3V-5V Level Shifters. They are very handy for converting the voltage levels between Arduinos of different Vcc, and just about anything else. They will drive 150mA, in the MHz speed range.

They’re also a handy source for B2 and J1 transistors, I’ve harvested a few…

Level shifting/translating tricks and tips - a whole class unto itself.
TI has a lot of stuff on this. The “Auto Bidirectional” parts look intriguing.
Add to the " wander if" list.
https://www.ti.com/logic-circuit/voltage-level-translation/overview.html?keyMatch=LEVEL%20SHIFTING&tisearch=search-everything

TI also has a matrix table of their various logic families w/ different Vdc showing who can talk/listen to what.

1 Like