Anodizing aluminum

Is there equipment at the space to anodize something?

1 Like

No.
Been kicked around a bunch of times, but ultimately, we’re afraid we’ll get in trouble for attempting to dispose of the leftovers.
A quick search on here should turn up several such conversations from the (not too distant) past.

3 Likes

You might take a look at this blog (found it referenced on Hackaday a while back): http://www.observationsblog.com/sciencetechnologyexperiments/anodizing-and-dying-aluminum-without-battery-acid

Uses Sodium Bisulfate (“Pool-Chem” from the pool chemical supply store) rather than sulfuric acid, in addition to a DC current source and RIT fabric dye.

4 Likes

I’m actually getting ready to do this to some parts. That exact process.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to join you? I’m trying to black anodize some parts.

I wasn’t planning to do this at the space. I guess I could since I’m not going the route of using battery acid. I’ve got a bunch of parts to do, but not in any color currently, I just needed to harden some parts that get handled often.

I’m interested too…wanted to see this process for some time now. Maybe as a class or just a meetup?

1 Like

Well, I guess I’m gonna do it at the space… lol
Warn you all now, it’s my first time doing it, I’ve been reading up on the process for months now.
I guess I could use the bench power supply for this, that helps.

1 Like

Just have a plan in place for removing the sodium bisulfate safely. It isn’t safe to pour down the drain, pour into the trash/dumpster, etc. It would need to be taken home with you.

1 Like

Actually, if diluted to a point of at least 10:1 this stuff can be poured down any drain. Had to make sure about that again. since I’m only using a 20% solution, diluting it should be simple.

It is the same stuff you put in swimming pools, you don’t have to “dispose” of that stuff… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Cool…just post time…