* Annex is cooking - help appreciated *

I don’t know if you’ve looked past the door lately but things are changing in that room. Thanks to Chandra for really putting the pedal to the meta this weekend and getting people involved in the progress. Lots to do in that room so please donate some time towards the completion of it.
I’m not as vigorous as I once was - having some repair done on the 'ol back and simply stated I’m not 100% so all help is greatly appreciated.

To answer the question: The annex will be a “white room” for digital work, framing, and printing. It’s intention is nothing messy and pretty isolated individual work. What this will do is freaup the CA room for more hands-on work and more table space. It will be a win-win when complete.

Things that need a’ helping with:
Finish mudding (possibly complete today)
Sanding walls (ASAP)
Painting (@bitta) waiting for sanding to be complete
Help on exterior (@LeeCJones and I are going to do it Wednesday evening might need one more person)
Cabinetry build out and hanging (one person has been assigned but I don’t know talk name - Michael)
Install vent
Install camera
CNC texture for front of cabinets (David Smart and company)
tables built (@Tapper volunteered but he could probably use some help)
major cleanup
flooring
moving items from CA
Figuring out the computer/software what goes where (@John_Marlow @LisaSelk)
figuring out what goes where (@danielle_burbidge)

3 Likes

Here is an updated list of things to do around the space and who to speak with. Let me know if you need additional clarification.

1 Like

Do you have a list of which specific equipment is going into the annex?

Right now we are debating it. Looks like we will now be able to squish the vinyl cutter in. I also am going to put the dye sub printer so it can be plugged in at all times (heat press stays in the room).

I’d like to propose that some numbers of tables in the CA room be designated as “clean tables”; i.e., no glue, paint, dye, airbrush, clay, or any other gooey stuff. There’s nothing like finding someone else’s mess with your white fabric.

2 Likes

That’s good news. That will free up the current vinyl cutter computer for use in the CA room. The annex/studio split of pure computer vs. pure “mechanical” tools is useful, but there are many tools that require computer access in order to drive the tool. Having that computer in CA will be helpful for that situation.

Yes - I still believe we will have a computer in the CA room. I don’t think we will be able to work efficiently without one. We think we should be able to get the vinyl into the room but it all comes down to working with the space when finished.
I like the idea of clean tables.

Did you guys still need a desk for the annex? Home Depot has an adjustable height desk for a reasonable price.

which home depot is this at?

Flower Mound. It uses a crank handle or impact to raise or lower.

1 Like

Better grab it if you want it. Their website says it isn’t sold in stores and is out of stock online.

1 Like

Ironically that’s why I waited to post more details, in the hopes that there would be less google prying eyes.

I wanted to post an update here to consolidate annex progress info. Here’s Nicole’s post with a timeline of tasks to complete…

Chris painted the walls in the annex and the last little bit in the interactive and got the black baseboard installed, so things are looking good! She’s sanding some of the mud down right now to paint more. Matt will be working on cabinets tonight. I just did a little tidying up and scraped up some big chunks of paint and mud. I’m going to install the flooring in the little area where it’s missing (sticking it to the floor can’t be that hard right?) and baseboard too.

For Sunday it says to remove unnecessary items. What would that be? I removed some extra tools from in there and can keep cleaning up, I just don’t want to remove anything that’s still going to be needed :slight_smile:

Here are some current pics

3 Likes

Miracles are happening!
I can’t believe it. @John_Marlow Chandra michael and @mkart and you Merissa (I thought I was replying to you so I’m sorry for not directly thanking you) have been a rally team like no other. All thanks praise and all manner of good energy go to them.

5 Likes

Whatever wood that’s not used tonight for the cabinets we will take to ca and put behind the rolling cabinets. It looks so much better with the excess tools taken out. I’m going to defer to Chandra what small items stay in and have purpose over the next week and what doesn’t.

2 Likes

I’ll tell you - the clean up that @Merissa did made all the difference in how that room looks! It was overwhelming before and now it’s looking like it’s nearly done.

@TBJK did a bunch of sanding and mud work and it looks good. Here’s how the room looked when I left. I won’t guarantee no touch-up is required, but it’s progressing. I painted inside the alcove and it’s ready for the cabinets. The cabinets will go in the alcove where there is no paint.

We also rolled the big beast into the alcove for a fit check, and to everyone’s relief, there is about 3/8" clearance and the thing fits. Whew!

As far as I can tell, the Interactive side is finished.

@mkart and @michael_chang are still there working on cabinets; Michael also plans to rework the mud on the “cubbyholes” tonight.

Tomorrow, assuming the mud is dry, the cubbyholes need to be sanded and painted (front edges and also the insides). I think Chandra said that @bitta is going to do that - but that could easily be a two-person task. The printer alcove needs to be floored and floor moulding/baseboard added (just inside the alcove). @merissa volunteered to do that. The cabinets need to be finished/hung and I know that’s a lot of work so I don’t know the schedule for that.

2 Likes

The paint job looks great! And the cabinets look like they’re coming along nicely! I’ll be back up at the space tomorrow and can work on the floor then if it doesn’t put me in anyone’s way :slight_smile:

Just had a thought… looks like we’re missing two ceiling tiles in there. Did they just get removed during work and need to be put back up or are new ones needed? I didn’t see them stashed anywhere in the room

Also does the big mat cutter need to be relocated? If it needs to go to offsite storage I think I can convince @Brandon_Green to take care of that tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

According to @uglyknees, we need new ones. She can tell you the status of acquiring them.

1 Like

We are going to have to give some serious thought to electricity when we determine what goes in there and where it goes. From the prior photos that were posted, I think you can see there are no outlets in the long north wall (and obviously none in the south partition). There is one quad box in the west wall (visible in the photo). Not in the photo is the one duplex in the east wall. Rumor has it that one of the two sockets in the duplex doesn’t work, but since that’s the wall that’s in the path of the door, there isn’t much we could put on that wall anyway. Perhaps we could put the dye sub printer in the cubbyhole closest to that outlet.