Amazon taking on Etsy with Amazon Handmade

Looks like Amazon is horning in on Etsy’s space by offering to sell handmade “artisan” items for a 15% commission.

In other news, Amazon will offer your handmade items for sale on the Amazon platform for a 15% commission.

1 Like

that’s a lot compared to Etsy’s $0.20 listing fee and zero commission.
The internet makes everything world wide so I don’t see the advantage in using Amazon - unless it is something mass produced. And if that is the case is it really handmade/one-of-a-kinds? Amazon would probably provide more advertising though.

Having said that - Etsy’s financials have been (fairly) stable this past year so I don’t fear them going away and while I don’t agree with some of their recent changes I would rather stay with them. I dropped eBay because they in no way would EVER stand behind their sellers and somehow I suspect Amazon with their eventual selling rules will be just as big a pain in the butt.

3 Likes

A lot of buyers may not use etsy, so if they search for a gift on Amazon they might see a handmade item and buy it

2 Likes

and having to try to make up the 15% on Amazon they will find the same item on etsy cheaper IMO.
but as an analogy - WHY have so many artists left eBay? I think Amazon will work the same. Hey, I hope I’m wrong. Let us know how you do on it.

One big difference is the difference between pay to play and pay for performance: Amazon only charges when an item is sold.

Example:I have 20 items to sell, and each is on offer for $20. Only one sells.

Etsy: $0.20 per offer x 20 items = $4 in fees, due when listed.

Amazon Homemade: $20 in sales x 15% = $3 in fees, due at sale.

4 Likes

so what do you use? and what fees?
I should say I’ve had some success with Yahoo’s marketplace which is free.

The short answer is: none.

I don’t sell things I make. I either make things for my personal use, or as gifts/solutions for others. If I charged anything, it’d be the cost of materials, but unless that cost is high, I don’t even do that.

I value my time too highly to make selling profitable, but I’m glad to help out a friend.

3 Likes

You also get access to Amazon FBA which could help Prime members buy your product.
eBay is dying because they don’t have any infrastructure to support their sellers

2 Likes

I experimented with Handmade a while ago when I had more time. FBA is so much easier than Etsy and the sales were a lot better.

2 Likes

Because ebay is awful to sellers.

2 Likes

I compare Amazon FBA to a consignment shop… Most shops I’ve had experience with want 10% commission plus rent and some require a half day or more of work in the shop per month. Without rent commission is usually around 40%. Amazon has a lot more traffic than a consignment shop.

1 Like

it’s not infrastructure (their global shipping program was actually good). Anyone who has ever had any disputes quickly finds out they flat don’t support their sellers. Period. You lose no matter what.

1 Like

Came here to agree with this. eBay isn’t dying, but isn’t a good platform for makers. The large companies who sell via eBay are keeping it quite alive, but if you ever have a dispute with a buyer just know you are going to lose about 99% of the time.

Short personal story, I sold a used item, offered shipping insurance to the buyer which they refused, and despite me packing it correctly, it was damaged in transit. My first message from the guy was that it was damaged by the post office (he even sent pictures of the damaged box and the sticker the post office put on it stating that it was damaged in transit), and he lamented his bad luck and asked how to fix it. I commiserated with him on the bad luck with careless postal handling, and offered as much advice as possible on fixing or finding replacement parts. Not 2 days later he submitted a return request stating the item was not as described and was broken. I disputed and got an eBay rep on board. I referred them to the original pics showing the item in good condition, then referred them to the PM with pics of the damaged in transit sticker. They sided with the buyer anyway, regardless of his initial admittance to the post office being to blame and his refusal to get shipping insurance. When I called eBay the rep straight up said that they always side with the buyer unless fraud is involved and that going forward it would be in my best interest to buy the insurance on my dime. I somehow got really lucky during the deal as the buyer had 30 days to return the item or else the case would be dismissed, he took his sweet time and the case was dropped and I got my money back. So in the case of eBay, it should be Seller beware.

2 Likes

Half if not more of the stuff up on Etsy nowadays is not really artisan made but is mass manufactured. So in reality, Etsy kinda left their lane and wandered into Amazon’s. Amazon is just giving them the chrome bumper to get back into their own lane or put them into the ditch.

1 Like

Gotta be a way to use Amazon for exposure but drive sales to Etsy without [blatantly] violating Amazon’s terms of service.

Do you pay FBA fees in addition to the 15% commission? I would rather let Amazon handle shipping, etc., but I also want to make money and not have it all eaten in fees.

We did Amazon Homemade for a while last year. There was additional fees ($40/month?) for maintaining listings (this was waived for 6 months or so. Not sure how this has changed). Biggest issue of working with Amazon is the flip side of their strength- that the customer is always right. If that means throwing that partner under the bus, well that is just part of the cost of a sale.

1 Like