Amateur Radio Antenna Conduits - Work in Process

We still need the power on the roof to heat shrink the tube, then we can waterfall the connectors, and properly strain relief. Expect to finish top side Tuesday

2 Likes

In our case both NEMA boxes are weather-tight sealed and the conduit runs between them. So, in theory the external of the inside box will be at room temperature and the external of the outside box will be at outside temperature. So I guess it makes sense to seal the upper conduit to prevent the condensation. There is a one gallon can of roof sealer that has plenty of tar left in it. Could this be used?

There is a wood top workbench in the new area next to the wall mounted NEMA box. In the drawers are all the tools and connectors you need. Brand new crimp style coax connectors, crimping tool, and coax stripping tool. The spool of coax is there also.

I will do the final termination of the 15 conductor cable so that the color coded wires and terminal assignments are the same at the top and bottom boxes. I will also connect up the AC outlet and the grounding wire.

Duct seal is cheap. It can also be re-worked after applied. Kinda like silly putty. It doesnā€™t really dry out so you can remove it, run more wire/coax without fighting with it.

This is key.

We ran 6 coax lines Sat. I had to leave before everything was done. Not sure if all lines and both ends were terminated to the connectors. Paging @dougemes

Many thanks to Doug for holding the 1st AR SIG Mtng and moving this project forward.

Ill fix up the wiki Tuesday, but here is the minutes:
16:05 - start SIG meeting
16:07 - describe work for the day
16:10 - explain coax
16:15 naming of callsigns

Doug Emes @dougemes KG5BZY
Art Givens @artg_dms KG5BZZ
Fred Philip @PhilibertF WA2AAV (expired)
Sal Piro @spiro In class

16:20 - discuss future objectives
16:30 - head to warehouse area
16:45 - ascend building
17:30 - conclude SIG meeting
ā€¦
18:15 - doug off the roof

1 Like

Dougā€¦ itā€™s Fred PhiliBERT.

Just think of the nutā€¦

1 Like

Rich,

The correct type of seal is called ā€œDuctSealā€ (trade name?). It is a ā€œnon hardeningā€ sealer that has the consistency of plasticine clay. Although it is technically non hardening, it does tend to oxidize and dry up, but it can be removed and replaced with new stuff in 5 or 10 years.

Frankly, with the two boxes at either end of the conduit runs fairly tightly sealed, I donā€™t anticipate much air circulation.

Well Iā€™m working nights in Odessa until Thursday, but Iā€™ll be back home this weekend. I can probably make it up there Saturday or Sunday to terminate any runs that donā€™t already have connectors and maybe do some more runs.

Are we going to use that LMR 400 for all of the runs or do we want to leave some open for different coax/future use?

Can the ends of the tubes also be stuffed with a bit of fiberglass insulation to minimize airflow and temperature transfer between the boxes (open or closed) and the tubes?