Am I able to cut this on the plasma table?

I found a company based out of dallas called mecca design. I have been in contact with them for about a week now to get this part cut this is the estimate they sent back "Here is a summary for our machine cuts…
All pricing is based on a “per inch basis” cut (the more intricate, the more cutting, higher the cost), plus material. Material costs vary based on what we are cutting, as well as waste (if we have to purchase a larger piece of material than we need for your production.

First Unit - Prototype and unit 1 -
The $360 covers us reworking the electronic file to get it ready for the software/machine. We bill at $85 per hour with a minimum $100. We do not anticipate this setup taking longer than 1 hour. If we think we will require more time, we will let you know before proceeding (and get your approval on additional cost). This charge also includes (1) wood test run, (1) metal test run, and the final prototype;

All pricing after the first unit, is based on volume and waste (based on our experience). The per inch cost for the laser (or CNC router or burn table) cut and the material cost still applies.

Finally, each change in the file starts the process all over again."

Is $360 reasonable for this type of work?

It really depends on what you are having them cut. Back in Austin I found a great water jet shop that did job for me for about that much.

Yes, that seems about the norm. As I’ve found out when I was trying to get my business off the ground, damn near everything cost about 500$. Lol. I could get one done for about that same price as you stated. I could get a half dozen made for not much more.

Looks like I will have to spend the money :frowning: At least until the plasma table gets back online… if it ever does

If you want a second plasma cutting shop - I know a “mom & pop” place in lewisville.

1 Like

Yes that would be great whats the name?

1 Like

I’ve used a shop in Wylie with good success:
http://www.hydrofabrication.com/

He has both a waterjet and a laser table and his prices were very reasonable. I ad him cut out a new dashboard for my Jeep after I drew it up in Autocad.

Thank you @avoss , I just sent them an email. Hopefully they will get back to me shortly. Nothing like a project put on hold because of one piece missing.

How long has the plasma cutter been out of commission?

Sincerely,
Tim Nielsen

IMO It’s never really been “in commission”

2 Likes

I cut some parts Nov 2014.

I think the fire marshal shut us down on the plasma cutter last April or May.

Sorry about the delay is getting this your way - I misplaced his info
His name is Trent Cody
phone is 972.679.7789

Thank you for the info , I will get in touch with him. I am having trouble converting this stl file to dwg, I am still pretty new at 3d modeling. Any advise ? Ive designed everything on 123d design but for some reason it wont let me export to dwg? What am I doing wrong? Here is the link to my files again https://github.com/Bholigan/Nocturna

I use Inventor to convert files, but I’ve heard that many STLs won’t open.

I got PlasmaCam and the computer up and running … I had success with outputting an HP plotter file from Inkscape into PlasmaCam. It didn’t like DXF but I’m not certain what I am doing. lol …

Also, someone needs to get a support ticket in to get a network outlet installed and the machine on the domain.

Additionally, I think there needs to be an acrylic or plexi-glass divider between the computer and the cutter. This should keep the machine from sucking in too much smoke and getting hit with bits of metal.

1 Like

Would it be possible (legal?) to run the system without actually firing the torch so that we can make sure that it’s up and running? I’d be willing to meet up and work on this!

2 Likes

You should talk to Lee, the chair of Metal Shop, but I see no problem with running the system w/o the Hypertherm actually cutting. There was a Z-axis issue, but I’m not sure where that left off.

Additional galvanic isolation between the PC and the Hypertherm might help with the communications problems. I’d be willing to look at it from an EE perspective to see what can be improved.

1 Like

I think that’s Chuck Graf now: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20160424#Appoint_Committee_Chairs

2 Likes

Firing the torch is what doesn’t work, most of the time