Am I able to cut this on the plasma table?

Hello ,
I have been working on a 3d Printer design and I have finished the design for the frame, if what I’ve read is correct I can use a pdf to be able to cut it on the plasma table. Is this right? I would like to use 2.5mm thick steel. I have the files on git hub here is the link https://github.com/Bholigan/Nocturna. If yall have any advice that would be great.

1 Like

Plasma Cutter in Metal Shop won’t be available until the exchaust system is installed. After that thickness of material will be easy to cut. Don’t know about the programming part, but others do.

1 Like

I have read about the plasma table ventilation problem but the thread hasn’t had an recent update, do you have any idea when that will be resolved or what the status is on the project?

1 Like

I’m not sure what the exact hold-up is, I think they are still trying to get a second quote for a contractor and that is proving difficult to do. But everything else I believe has been signed-off.

Be aware that even before the fire marshal shut it down, we had real problems trying to get the PlasmaCAM to work at all. If I were you I’d look for an alternative way to do this.

Someone got that working. It moves/runs toolpaths, etc.

That was never the problem. Z-height control was, which prevented it from cutting. I’ve seen it work, I’ve even used it. But I would not plan on it working when I needed it.

Why not roll it outside for trials and testing BEFORE committing to a HUGE chunk of cash for an exhaust system?

It’s not exactly portable. And you could have it working perfectly one day and then it quits the next. In my experience. There are those who say it works fine, but I’ve never yet seen it work reliably, day after day.

I’ve been a member since last july and have yet to see it in operation - It would be nice if it was and reliable of course.

Not exactly portable is true - but I’d opt for having the DMS fund heavy duty casters and try to work out the kinks outside BEFORE spending $10k on a vent system for something that may not work or may not be worth the trouble.

3 Likes

I found a company based out of dallas called mecca design. I have been in contact with them for about a week now to get this part cut this is the estimate they sent back "Here is a summary for our machine cuts…
All pricing is based on a “per inch basis” cut (the more intricate, the more cutting, higher the cost), plus material. Material costs vary based on what we are cutting, as well as waste (if we have to purchase a larger piece of material than we need for your production.

First Unit - Prototype and unit 1 -
The $360 covers us reworking the electronic file to get it ready for the software/machine. We bill at $85 per hour with a minimum $100. We do not anticipate this setup taking longer than 1 hour. If we think we will require more time, we will let you know before proceeding (and get your approval on additional cost). This charge also includes (1) wood test run, (1) metal test run, and the final prototype;

All pricing after the first unit, is based on volume and waste (based on our experience). The per inch cost for the laser (or CNC router or burn table) cut and the material cost still applies.

Finally, each change in the file starts the process all over again."

Is $360 reasonable for this type of work?

It really depends on what you are having them cut. Back in Austin I found a great water jet shop that did job for me for about that much.

Yes, that seems about the norm. As I’ve found out when I was trying to get my business off the ground, damn near everything cost about 500$. Lol. I could get one done for about that same price as you stated. I could get a half dozen made for not much more.

Looks like I will have to spend the money :frowning: At least until the plasma table gets back online… if it ever does

If you want a second plasma cutting shop - I know a “mom & pop” place in lewisville.

1 Like

Yes that would be great whats the name?

1 Like

I’ve used a shop in Wylie with good success:
http://www.hydrofabrication.com/

He has both a waterjet and a laser table and his prices were very reasonable. I ad him cut out a new dashboard for my Jeep after I drew it up in Autocad.

Thank you @avoss , I just sent them an email. Hopefully they will get back to me shortly. Nothing like a project put on hold because of one piece missing.

How long has the plasma cutter been out of commission?

Sincerely,
Tim Nielsen

IMO It’s never really been “in commission”

2 Likes