Altoid tin fire starter kit build day?

So I’m reading this backyard explorer book. Page one goes over how to pack like super tiny and goes over this whole “world inside a altoid tin”. On a whim I started looking at how it’s become a bit of a “thing” on youtube on who can pack the smallest/smartest survival tin…got me curious so I dragged myself over to albaba, eBay, and amazon and started looking at what it would take to make one of these suckers…and it turns out it’s easiest to make them by the wheelbarrow because almost everything is only one or two items and they are sold in packs of 10-40. Minimalism for the win.

SO, if the cost was nominal who would want to participate in an altoid tin can firestarter kit? I haven’t really got down to it and actually wrote up the costs so I can only estimate it being well under $10 closer to $5. But it would basically be a come in…take this stuff…smack it into this box type event not exactly as class. Or I could make it some sort of survivalist how to make fire class and we could all burn a bunch of tortillas with coke cans.

3 Likes

I am reminded of this.

That sounds interesting…

We’ve made flint strikers with the blacksmithing students before. It was an effective how to make fire item and would fit into an altoids can with some charcloth easily.

3 Likes

@TBJK Tim made fire compression fire starter that uses the stuff Nicole is talking about. They are made on the Engine Lathe. You put some of fire starter into a small pocket at the end of a rod, this goes into a tube, you press down fast and the heat of compress ignites the fire starter, which you quickly transfer to kindling. I think he posted it somewhere previously.

This would be a great project to go along with it.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d be up for that.

I would. In fact I would be in for pitching in for just the tins themselves too.

1 Like

I have lots of Altoids Tins I would donate to the cause.

2 Likes

We need to have a “Good-Breathaton” for week, everyone donating their tins!

2 Likes

Ok I’ll sit down and price things out and be back with a true estimate. I think a little survival fire making class could be fun right? I don’t think I would be the most qualified. But I once saw this whole coke can/water/chocolate bar way of setting fire to things…seriously cool.

On an unrelated note - my house burnt down when I was in middle school.

1 Like

Not surprised at all.

Ours burned down while I was in 9th grade. We were in Georgetown at the time, I wasn’t happy that I lost almost all of my tools. Many were from my grandpa. Still don’t have a bandsaw to replace the one that burned.

A small fire piston might be difficult but I’m sure it can be done.

1 Like

Nice lathe project :slight_smile:

Also we could have a group make of the charcloth. It is as easy to make a hundred as it is to make one piece.

1 Like

I have thought about a series of micro survival classes.

1. 500 hour candles
  2. Fire starter kit
  3. How to filter water then make it safe to drink
  4. Starting fires without matches
  5. 1 pan cooking (a challenge at DMS.)
  6. Basic knots.

There are many more topics.

2 Likes

I have attempted to burn my house down twice. Once with the oven, and once with the smoker.

1 Like

Well maybe Tim and Nicole can do class or maybe an Event at you house.

3 Likes

And I JUST replaced our windows!

I’ve never ordered via alibaba - I’m unsure of shipping times. The difference per item is $3+ so worth looking at.

Right now the cost is hovering around $8 but with alibaba it would be cheaper (but shipping plus time might not be worth it).

@Diplomat how many altoid tins do you have?
It was cheaper to go with the mints rather eBay (with shipping) lots without the mints or tins without mints. I found that funny. But it might be found cheaper.
PS I see that vaseline is spelt incorrectly.

20 AM

Char cloth I think we can easily make for free
Lots of this stuff people can probably just bring in to make them around $5
Duct tape is also part of it
People also talked about including a clear lighter with a zip tie securing it