Alternative website for Makerspace Science

I have made an alternate website for makerspace science. I found the Wiki pages confusing.
I would appreciate feedback.

Here it is: http://www.chalogonzalez.org/

Of course, if you hate it, the wiki pages will always be there, and I do link both ways.

1 Like

thank you for your hard work! amazing!

That is so true. I am struggling to learn the wikitext and how it works, but especially for teaching purposes (keeping a record of all class materials) I needed something now. It is my hope that I can move it all to something that is DMS-maintained over time. Much of the wiki consists of external links anyway.

I think quite a few more people know wordpress than wikitext, and I am glad to offer a wordpress class.

Anyway, the wiki will always be there, regardless of how I maintain this site, and I will make sure everything links back to it.

1 Like

“A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure.”

With two sites and two sources of data, this will make finding info harder, not easier, IMHO.

I’d recommend taking the time to use the Wiki. I’ve found that finding a page with the layout/technique you’re trying for and the editing that page to view the underlying Wikitext is a quick way to get up to speed. The meeting minutes and the Tool pages are a good place to start.

Worst case, make PDFs of the data you want to share and upload those to the Wiki: at least the data would be on the right site.

7 Likes

Fragmentation of DMS info continues to make it harder for new and old members to find the best answers.

If the wiki sucks, then let’s work to change that. They are your efforts to participate and lead so I appreciate that. Maybe we need to Publishing Czar to assist member to communicate what they need/want in a place where all members can find.

5 Likes

Thank you for volunteering…
( :wink: )
A good idea. Need someone who wants to, and has the time…

1 Like

Walter Anderson and Kris have both been very kind about guiding me through the wiki. I would not say the wiki “sucks” but there is a bit of a learning curve. Not sure what you mean by a publishing czar. If you mean someone in charge of PR for makerspace as a whole, just a go-to person for wiki questions, yes, that might be a good idea. Who is the expert on this?

I have been working to change the wiki, not just supplementing it. For example, I ordered and updated the membership list and deleted links to pages for projects that (1) no longer exist, and (2) linked to blank pages anyway. I have not given up on the wiki pages, just realized I was over my head and that improvements would have to be gradual. Also did not want to step on toes.

Well put about the 2 watches. I dont think anyone will use both, I think individuals will decide which one each thinks is most reliable and stick to that. I am indeed taking time to master the wiki and intend to migrate all content, but it will have to be gradual because I have loads of content to generate and it would take far too long to create it using the wiki; I am painfully slow at this stage of my understanding.

Is there some way Science can host a wordpress site on the makerspace server?
Who is responsible for the server here? Surprised that isnt a committee. Making websites is a kind of maker activity for which there might be general interest.

Probably.
I’d talk to @StanSimmons , @LisaSelk , or one of the other members of Team_Infrastructure, the committee whose responsibility this would fall to, if I am not mistaken. One could make an argument for it being under the purview of Team_PR as well, since websites tend to be public-facing, but I think they’ll defer to the infrastructure folks on whether you can make a page for Science on the DMS Wordpress instance.

None of which resolves the “two places for documentation, and thus confusing, especially to newbies and outsiders” issue.

I think you’re making more of learning to use the Wiki than necessary. It’s practically English, a greater-than-functional-command of which you appear to possess, unless these posts are ghost-written…

2 Likes

Successful wiki sites have volunteers that curate, restructure, and edit the info created by others. I have resisted because this doesn’t seem to be common place here and some authors might take exception. Myself and others could get started down this path by just offering to help authors when requested.

3 Likes

Refrain no more.
Do.
If anyone complains, revert.
No biggie.
And if anyone gets bent out of shape, work it out then.
More doing will make “this common place”, as intended.

3 Likes