Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer repair onboard ISS

We’re still looking for the antimatter…

https://spaceflightnow.com/2019/11/01/repair-equipment-for-particle-physics-experiment-aboard-next-station-cargo-launch/

2 Likes

The real question is did they get the cookie oven working?

I’m not going to Mars without Tiffs Treats delivery.

2 Likes

With 3 cooling pumps dead, and the 4th intermittent; you could prly toast a batch of cookies in that spectrometer.

1 Like

Well I haven’t got a call from them yet to fix it.
:smile:

3 Likes

I’d like to see your bill for that service call. You could repair it free, and just bill for mileage. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha, well it’s only 250 miles straight up so NASA might get the better of you on that one.

2 Likes

I’m reminded of this story:

The pertinent text:

Jack B. Scott wrote in to tell of his father’s encounter with the Wizard of Schenectady at Henry Ford’s River Rouge plant in Dearborn, Michigan. Ford, whose electrical engineers couldn’t solve some problems they were having with a gigantic generator, called Steinmetz in to the plant. Upon arriving, Steinmetz rejected all assistance and asked only for a notebook, pencil and cot. According to Scott, Steinmetz listened to the generator and scribbled computations on the notepad for two straight days and nights. On the second night, he asked for a ladder, climbed up the generator and made a chalk mark on its side. Then he told Ford’s skeptical engineers to remove a plate at the mark and replace sixteen windings from the field coil. They did, and the generator performed to perfection.
Henry Ford was thrilled until he got an invoice from General Electric in the amount of $10,000. Ford acknowledged Steinmetz’s success but balked at the figure. He asked for an itemized bill.
Steinmetz, Scott wrote, responded personally to Ford’s request with the following:
Making chalk mark on generator $1.
Knowing where to make mark $9,999.
Ford paid the bill.

2 Likes