All Woodshop Users - Interlock Updates

Delta Cabinet Saw is the next up to get an interlock this is going to be the primary tool to get people added that may have been missed in taking the new woodshop curriculum that went into place in approx 2015/2016.

For people onsite you can validate that you are in the “Woodshop Basics” group by going to the front room and scanning the RFID reader and it will tell you what groups you are in or please send me a PM or post here and I can also validate.

If you have been using the woodshop and you have not taken woodshop 101 you are in violation of the woodshop committee rules this is an early warning that you will be locked out if you don’t go take the 101 class so please do this ASAP.

I am planning on getting the Delta Interlock installed on Tuesday or possibly Wednesday.

You will see a new badge reader beside the switch it’s pretty simple operations scan your badge and it will turn from Red to Green

When you are finished badge out by scanning the badge reader again to turn it red.

If the reader blinks at you after the initial badge in this means you do not have access due to not being in the correct security group if this happens please contact @Team_Infrastructure please try to provide proof that you have taken the class.

8 Likes

Robert,
What happens if one forgets to scan out? Does the machine automatically de-register after X minutes of non-use? I’d hate to think that it would lock out mid-cut after a hardcoded X minutes, used or not.

On the other hand, I’d hate to be halfway home and realize that I didn’t log out of the machine.

Related question: If I finish, can someone else log-in before I log out? In other words:

Does A-in, B-in, B-out
work, or does if have to be
A-in, A-out before B-in will work?

Not so much an issue with the table saw, but I have seen 2+ people interleave access to the compound miter saw to make a quick one-off cut.

1 Like

Currently it’s set to log on and then anyone that is authorized can log off the other person.

The intent is to ultimately train users to log in and log off.

For the Cabinet Saw implementation I am going to try a feature of monitoring current and then starting a timer to shut off the saw after X minutes likely in the neighborhood of 20 minutes of no current use, as well as I may add email so it let’s the user know that they forgot and to remind them to badge out.

But for these rounds going with just Badge on Badge Off.

In your story though it will go something like this

A-IN B-out B-In

The orgional users does not have to be the one to badge out but it’s pretty obvious in the logs that someone did not badge out.

Robert, what’s the cost on this? There are other committees interested who would like to know. Thank you.

2 Likes

My cost on the interlock is approx $350 per interlock mostly due to these are prototype boards and they are really overbuilt with strong components.

I have about 7 other LV boards that I am willing to install in DMS and approx 3 more HV boards as a gift.

My first priority is Woodshop as I have been working with Andrew a while to get these installed.

So my initial roll out is the

Cabinet saws
Jointer
Planer

Possibly lathes

From there I am open to some options personally think the next one should be the Auto Lift but that will be up to the auto committee as well as some of the machine shop tools such as the Haas, Lathe, Coldsaw. Really trying to focus on “Red Tools”

Which committee was interested and I can attend the next committee meeting to show off the capabilities?

2 Likes

Speaking for myself/my perspective only, I’d rather see miter saw setup with one of these before any of the lathes. Just my .$02.

2 Likes

It’s doable I am up for whatever the woodshop committee wants.

As an update I got the interlock installed tonight on the Delta during my small sample set it looks like we are going to have quite a few people that need to get added to the woodshop basics notably there is going to be an inherent delay to update the lists.

So if anyone is in the woodshop please badge in and see if you are allowed access please remember to badge twice the first time. If you are being denied please see let @Team_Infrastructure know so they can get you added to woodshop basics.

1 Like