AliExpress Scammy RepRap Deal

@Lampy and I ordered this Prusa i3 kit on AliExpress.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-Material-size-210-210-210mm-High-Quality-Precision-Reprap-Prusa-i3-DIY-3d-Printer-kit/32485524251.html

It’s advertised as $60 when using the app. There’s a purchase protection if the order isn’t received. The seller is sending us weird messages about it being delayed on China Post for 33-35 days (the tracking number isn’t found), and to file a dispute for refund (in broken english). I’m pretty sure it’s turning into a scam.

If, for some reason, it turns out to be real maybe we can have a cheap chinese 3D printer build workshop.

Anyone else encounter scams on AliExpress? How did you deal with them?

No feedback on the seller. Also, it says 9,966 units available. I highly doubt they have almost 10k of these things sitting around, or even parts on hand to build 10k of them. Definitely looks fishy to me.

1 Like

Hey Mitch,
I just went through a similar issue with a shitty vendor on AliExpress. In my case the guy made up a fake tracking number and even called it fake in the remittance.

If your under 15 days on your count down timer and you don’t have a tracking number, I would open a dispute. Once you have opened the dispute. In the message to the seller explain that you need a tracking number to know that the shipment is being sent to you. If they can’t get a tracking number to you, then ask for a refund.

If the seller refuses, doesn’t respond, or the timer goes down to 5 or 6 days left, then escalate the dispute. In this case AliExpress will handle the dispute directly with the seller. In my case AliExpress took 4 or 5 days to issue me a refund. But, don’t expect them to talk to you when you escalate the dispute. I heard nothing, then got an email saying I was being issued a refund.

AliExpress is an awesome service, I’ve had by far more positive experience than negative ones. But, like amazon you have to be careful of too good to be true items. Unlike amazon to get refunds it takes longer than a 5 minute phone call.

1 Like

That is occasionally mentioned on the Arduino forum.

How did you deal with them?

What I remember is that typically does not go well.

The seller is sending us weird messages about it being delayed on China Post for 33-35 days

In the advertisement they claim a maximum of 14 days. I vaguely recall from the Arduino posts that a cutoff occurs after so many days. Once N days pass you can longer get a refund (I want to say N is 28 days).

Were I in your shoes I would file a claim on day 15.

1 Like

Great advise! I’ll file a dispute if nothing comes up after 15 days.

It’s not much cheaper but I have been looking at one of these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__80709__Mini_Fabrikator_3D_Printer_By_Tiny_Boy_Transparent_EU_230V.html

I think it’s a scam. Most of the Prusa kits I have seen did not have the power supply included. I don’t claim to be anywhere near an expert. Since when can we print Wood?

Check the 3D fab shelf, there’s a sample print using Colorfabb Woodfill on the printrbot simple, it’s PLA with wood fibers, it sands and feels like wood, you can even change the temperature at various layers to make darker and lighter layer to simulate wood grain. @Comter has been working with it, it’s impressive.

Wow. Did not know that at all.

You should see what you can do with BronzeFill…

Also here’s a really cool WoodFill print: http://www.3ders.org/articles/20141214-jelwek-launches-3d-printed-wood-filament-watch-collection.html

Wow. I showed that to my wife & she said her breasts were too perky

So apparently this is how they are trying to scam you, looks like someone already blogged about it:

1 Like

I believe she meant the bronze fill statue.

Your order 69636261731657 has been frozen due to suspicious seller activity

Escalated the support ticket to Aliexpress and received:

Dear Ken Purcell,

We have suspended this seller’s account because we detected unsafe trading activities. All of your pending orders with this seller have been frozen for your security.

We have asked this supplier to provide supporting evidence, such as shipping documents and qualification certificates. If the supplier is unable to provide the evidence or if the evidence is insufficient, we will close the order and process the refund for you within 5 business days (In case of certain circumstance, the processing period may be extended).

1 Like

Was weird in that the seller was overly communicative. I would get 2-4 messages per day.

Of the 20+ other times I have ordered stuff from Aliexpress, was lucky to get one message from the seller and it was usually a request to leave them feedback.

1 Like

Yup. The original link is now unavailable.

1 Like

Well, I guess if I want a $60 3D printer I’ll have to do this: http://www.instructables.com/id/eWaste-60-3DPrinter/