Air brush on metal

Can anyone recommend some paint to airbrush onto metal? (at home - so the “water-based” restriction of the CA airbrushes isn’t relevant here). I’m assuming I need an enamel paint … I would have thought the old FloQuil enamels would be perfect with their ultra-fine pigment but alas they haven’t been made in awhile.

Also, if I need to prime this, with what would I do that?

I only need one color so it doesn’t particularly matter if it’s a little pricey.

Also, could I use the Vallejos masking fluid with this?

I’d be inclined to use use a rattle can of automotive sandable primer and then airbrush acrylics onto that.

I don’t use an airbrush, but I do use the sandable primer on ABS and PLA 3D prints: the primer provides excellent “tooth” and acrylics bond just fine to it.

I’m really bad with rattle cans. And this item has a lot of very fine details.

What’s the intended purpose of the piece? Will the paint need to be durable for handling or exposed to sun/outside? What kind of metal?

It’s a non-functioning miniature stove/oven for indoor display (i.e., it’s conceptually a statue). Although the doors will open on hinges, the knobs/latches will not be painted. It will need to be durable enough for someone to pick it up and examine it a dozen times during its lifetime and that’s all.

It will be a combination of cast bronze and machined brass, soldered together.

You can get a primer for airbrush as well. Primer will be your friend. Createx has good paint and primer you can thin for an airbrush.

2 Likes

If you clean it really well (lacquer thinner to remove the solder flux) you might be able to airbrush acrylic without primer. Several light coats, with the first being just a mist coat to give it some “tooth.”

I was always partial to Gunze Sangyo “aqueous hobby color” paints. Might be able to find them at a HobbyTown that still caters to scale or train modelers. It can be used on metal. For airbrush dilute at least 50/50 with distilled water & isopropyl alcohol. The proportions of the thinner kinda have to be worked out for your paint color, temperature, humidity. It can be anywhere from 25/75 to 75/25. Some folks just stick with 50/50 alcohol/water for the thinner and 50/50 paint/thinner to airbrush.

1 Like

Oooh … I foresee a trip to Wild Bill’s!