Air brush for surface coverage?

Seeking some advice for air brushing (personal airbrush)

I need to cover small surfaces (few square inches at a time). I’m using an Iwata Revolution CR with a .5mm nozzle and solvent-based model airbrush paints. Not surprisingly, I’m suffering from over-atomization and the surface finish is poor (kind of a fine pebble).

From what I read, this is likely a limitation of the airbrush because most of the “coverage” I’m getting is actually “overspray” from each line of paint.

Can anyone recommend a different airbrush for this? In my perfect world I’d like something that doesn’t require 3 ounces of paint every time I want to paint a couple square inches.

@will1 - are you using something for your brass locomotives or do you leave them brass-colored?

Hi Chris!

I am not painting, as I live in an apartment and do not have the environment or infrastructure to do so.

I do suggest joining Brass Model Paint and Repair on Facebook and connect with Richard Bennett. A great guy, wonderful teacher and excellent craftsman! He is dedicated to doing the job right and does not cut corners.

Beware of some of the other brass model Facebook pages!

Painting a brass model is a very time consuming undertaking that requires a lot of patience and all the proper tools. Cutting corners does not work! The average cost of a custom brass paint job, depending on complexity, can run $750.00 - $1500.00

A model must be disassembled and chemically stripped. It is then ultrasonically cleaned.

All bad solder joints are repaired. It is imperative to have a small torch, soldering station such as Hekko and a resistance soldering outfit. We prefer the use of resin solders, as acid core can corrode. Correctly used, rosin core flows just fine! I also use Tix Anti-Flux to prevent solder from going to where it is not wanted!

Additional super-detailing is addressed as desired.

After repair, the model is sand-blasted and ultra-sonically cleaned. Sand blasting is done very quickly with low pressure, using a very fine pumice and is ONLY used to dull the surface to aide in paint adhesion. Pickling agents such as vinegar does not work for brass!

I understand that single action Badger and Pache are excellent.

Many of the legacy RR model paint manufacturers are no more. Two-part auto paints are being used.

Spray booth, Lazy Susan, curing oven, vapor traps/moisture removal and ventilation systems are a must!

Gloss colors must be used for decal application, over which is sprayed the matte/flat top coat.

Careful color sanding is also done.

If you wish to show off the brass, Mohawk or Behlen clear lacquer for brass furniture fittings can be used, then intent being tarnish prevention.

Hope this helps!

Will

3 Likes