Air brush abuse

Items are being straight up abused in the CA room - I’m speaking specifically of the airbrushes. They are being used and not being cleaned. Because of this we are going to lock the airbrushes up with a code (until we can get RFID) given out during classes thus limiting the potential misuse of the tools. We have caught the repeat offender on camera and they will be dealt with. Please understand this isn’t directed at everyone as I’m sure you are aware.

It is important that we as a community remain diligent over the upkeep and respect of our tools. Thank you for the majority of members who not only keep up the space but go beyond to tend to it’s corners and needs. She’s a thirsty girl this makerspace of ours.

5 Likes

Don’t make Nicole go all ED-209 on you…

4 Likes

ED-209 is so misunderstood. It had no choice but to follow orders. It’s not at fault for being used the way it was…

5 Likes

the sad term here is “repeat” offender.

If it was a first offense I could possibly understand but…

Silly question: can an airbrush be used to apply automotive paint to a small area (about the size of a quarter)? Is that a good way to do it? How about the same question except substitute clear coat?

Yes.
Maybe.
Yes.
Maybe (although you didn’t technically ask this one).
Never done it myself, though.

EDIT: also, I don’t think CA wants you using the airbush kits they have on hand to do this, as they’re to be used with water based paint only (probably among other reasons), if I understand correctly (and, if I understand correctly, most automotive coatings are not water based)…

depending on the airbrush, the apeture may be too small for the paint depending on the vescosity. For small jobs I prefer to use a preval unit. I mostly spray unthinned lacquer so it should work for paints. And you don’t have to carry a compressor with you.

2 Likes

Ya waterbased paint for CA airbrushes only.

1 Like

I’d like to take an air brush class so that I may eventually use a paasche air brush kit with dozens of tips and accessories that I’ve never used. It must be about 20 years old new in the box. (one of these days)

4 Likes

most new cars/trucks are painted with water based paints from the factory

Seriously?
Has me thinking of yummy fordite. While that was really expensive I might have “found” some similar during my last escapades at cadillac ranch. Hopefully I will make something with it really soon.

I have a couple of cool fordite cabochons I got for pendants awhile back. I’ll have to show you. The “stone” is a little delicate, but neat patterns and story :slight_smile:

1 Like

If they’re gunked up, even with hardened water-based acrylic, an overnight soak in lacquer thinner (the “hotter” the better) will loosen that crap up. The new CA Powers that Be could probably farm it out for people to do at home if that is verboten at the space. Unless they’re the plastic-bodied Testors airbrushes. I wouldn’t recommend that with one of those…

1 Like

Yes, even Peterbilt up in Denton - uses aqueous based paint in their automated and human applied paint assembly line( that was a fantastic tour by the way)
What is Fordite? (obviously not Cordite) looks great!

2 Likes

It’s awesome to see those trucks haul ass around the test track.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

4 Likes

It’s layers of paint scraped off the paint room equipment on car assembly lines. Pretty cool stuff.

2 Likes

I keep wanting to get a piece of Fordite, but it is costly
and there is no more of it

There is some one making jewelry from the paints
chips from Cadillac ranch

1 Like