Ai license expired, and Rdworks settings

Sorry that I dont know the laser name but it is the thunder by the zing. Anyway it’s computer’s adobe illustrator does not work, it says that the license was expired. I was also using rd works on that same computer and I noticed that it now shows the travel lines. Is there anyway to turn that off because the travel lines covered the entire cut. And I noticed that the default unit is different that the big thunder’s computer.

That’s Donner… Right counter computer. Has been this way for a while now and until a new license is found/installed it will continue to be that way.

To show/hide the tool paths, click the Square looking icon just under the TOOL menu.

I’ll be there in about an hour to (re)check the settings. They should go back to the default settings every time a new person logs onto any of the computers.

Right counter computer controls Blitzen. Donner is next to metal shop.

The free programs Gimp and Inkscape (both on the laser computers) are alternatives. Also, there are Illustrator copies on the computers in digital media that might not have expired.

I couldn’t find anything wrong with RDworks on all three thunder computers this evening when I checked them.
They all are set to use inches as the default unit.

All three computers will run a script shortly after login that replaces all the settings files with a ‘known good’ set. This should make sure that you won’t get any strange settings from the person who used the computer before you. You DO have to pause for about 10-15 seconds after logon before you run RDworks to make sure the script runs. If you see strange settings, logoff, logon, wait, and then start RDworks again.

If you see it again, clearly describe what’s happening and report it, along with the machine name/type you saw it on.

4 Likes

Not sure if the script is to be scheduled on a delayed start-up, but if not, if it presented a meaningful information window when it started running, that might help. I guess the window would be helpful either way, now that I think about it.

Question: Do individual logins have separate/personalized settings for RDW? Or are they global/shared? E.G. the desktop shortcut.

The shortcut should be global (in the Public user folder)
Clay’s scripts are to make settings consistent. Typically, many user changes would be saved to a shared, common profile. This causes problems for the next user, not aware of changes like for the rotary attachment adjustments to the Y scale of an object.

Personal settings are very limited. I would even double check saved RDWorks files after loading, as the new preferences might override settings I had saved.

@motopilot Thank you for the all the work you are putting in (except making inches the default 8-O). ;-D

3 Likes

I updated the wiki to clarify these locations.

1 Like

That reminds me Johnston Plastics is moving this week and someone will need to update the wiki.

I see @JAST caught it in one place and I caught it in the second one.

The script is run by a scheduled task that is triggered “on login.” I wish it would run a little quicker, but alas, it doesn’t. If you watch carefully, you’ll see the command-line window flash when it runs. If I can find another way to trigger it faster, I will.

RDWorks is very basic. It stores settings in the same RDWorks folder where the application is installed. It doesn’t store your settings in your Appdata profile folder… thus, when you change something, it stays that way for the next person. It also stores settings in a bunch of cryptic files (including ones in a folder called temp… go figure).

An email to Thunder laser support asking if there was a way to tell it to not save any settings changes went unanswered.

I added a discussion point on the next Laser committee meeting to talk about whether any of the default settings should be changed (like mm or Inches :smile: )

1 Like

You could also run a scheduled task for “on startup” and see if that helps anything. I suspect it will not. Or it will help on firstboot, but not any subsequent logon/logoff.

Another option would be “on logoff” (instead, or in addition to the on startup) and see how that behaves. I suspect similar issues.

Of course, on shutdown is another option…

Login is, logically, the least bad place for such a thing, but maybe the other entry points are worth trying?

RDWorks is made by a different company. Perhaps they would be more responsive.

1 Like

good point… Thunder has answered my questions before, but RuiDa technologies makes the software and the controller.

I got a reply from Thunder Laser! (nothing back yet from my query to RuiDa)

I think it is from the same guy that wrote the manual… :frowning_face:

Hi Clay,

Thanks for your feedback.
But the RDworks have no this function.
To use the RDworks,i recommend user to learn how to change back to the default setting;
And RDworks have too many option that it’s no need to use,for user,just adjust the layer parameter for the design.

If you have any questions in future,feel free to contact me.
Best Regards
Ben

Tech Department
THUNDER LASER TECH CO.,LTD

1 Like