Advice on shelf repair

I found one of these shelves on the side the road a couple of years ago and have found it quite useful in my classroom. However, I’m beginning to see why someone tossed it.
The plastic drawers are a little bowed in the middle so they frequently slip out of the rails if you’re not careful.
Anyone have any super easy ideas for a fix?
I put some little pieces of wood in the rails to bring the support surface out, and that worked, but it removes the upper support that keeps the drawer from falling over when you pull it more than half way out.

Attach a stiffener to them?

Drawers are bowed in unsupported center? Maybe the stiffener dowels/boards/rods need to go side to side instead of length of the rail?

The bow is where my finger is in the first pic. It’s in the middle of the side of drawer, so if you’re pushing it in, about halfway there, the drawer isn’t as wide as the support rails and everything falls down.

I have that in rainbow. It’s a particularly crap design lol.
I am honestly 10 seconds away from just making a new one on multicam out of plywood .

I have the rainbow one. I’m going to try a heat gun to soften it up and bend them out a bit.

Yay! This crossbar pushes the sides back into place, out just far enough that the drawers don’t fall out.
So far, so good!

3 Likes