Advice needed: failing PC fan - replace fan or whole power supply?

The power supply on my few-years-old tower PC has started making noise. Probably bearings going bad.

Should I break open the power supply and try to find a matching fan (being respectful of the large capacitors inside), or given its age (4+ years old), would I be smarter to replace the whole power supply?

I am comfortable with the aspect of tearing into the power supply, but I’m wondering if the modest increase in price would warrant having a much newer source of power.

Question 2: If I do replace the power supply, any recommendations as to brand?

Thoughts?

Me personally, I’d replace the whole PSU. Not because you can’t replace the fan, but because it’s just easier and PSUs don’t cost that much. (plus, we have 3 dogs and two cats in our house and that old PSU is probably full of hair) As far as brands, Cooler Master seems to be a decent one. I usually browse PC parts on Amazon and Best Buy until I find some that get decent ratings.

edit: also, pcpartpicker.com is a great way to lose several hours researching stuff…

2 Likes

Up to you on choice to replace the power supply or the fan. I’ve lost track of how much a new power supply costs, but a fan can cost anywhere from below a dollar to around $10. From experience I’d warn you not to buy the low priced budget fans. Better to buy a midpriced fan but get one with bearings.

Power supplies on the inside are such a hodge-podge of wires and connectors that they can sometimes be a pain to take apart and put together. Lots of times the case is spot welded or hot glued, but that never stopped me when I was being industrious.

1 Like

I agree with replacing the whole power supply. You can get a better one in the exchange with more power, too if you want it. They are reasonably cheap and can be replaced very quickly and easily.

3 Likes

Thanks, all. I was leaning the same way.

Gonna head to Fry’s to see what I can pick up same-day to minimize downtime.

Thanks again for helping me conclude a new power supply was not the wrong answer.

I’d keep the old supply, open it, and if the caps aren’t split on top just replace the fan and have a spare. You can pick up fans for these at Tanner Electronics just a block away from DMS.

3 Likes

Seconded. If the P/S is working fine and meets your needs why replace it? Efficiency maybe, if it’s a machine that’s on all the time, otherwise just drop a cheap fan in there!

1 Like

That was my final solution: I installed an new power supply and I plan to retrofit a fan into the old one at my leisure. In the meantime I am back at work with a minimum of downtime.

2 Likes

Replace PSU, use old PSU as benchtop power supply (with replaced fan). That way if it is marginal, at least it won’t crash out your computer, but it can still be useful.

5 Likes

Exactly what I thought, when I read the OP.

This reminds me of a time when I was a kid and didn’t have money to buy things. The fan in my PSU died, and my computer would crash after it would overheat. For about 6 months my workaround was to have the PSU taped to a household fan that I would turn on when I used my computer. I had to wear a coat when I used my computer during the winter because the fan made me cold :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Water is a much better heat conductor than air. If your computer is overheating you can squirt water into the power supply to cool it down.

Joke post (of course).

1 Like

Just laser cut an acrylic enclosure, glue it up, fill with mineral oil, and put your computer in there!

2 Likes

And never upgrade and pray nothing ever breaks.

Everything in life is a tradeoff… :smiley:

I did this and I recommend you don’t do this unless you plan on never upgrading, moving, or doing any maintenance to it ever again.

P.S. Get a new PSU and use the old one as a benchtop PSU. Fry’s has the “Lepa” brand 500w PSU for $35 it really is a great deal I’ve bought several and they work great.

2 Likes

(george_takei) Oh, my… (/george_takei)