Advice for paying to have 6 glasses rotary laser etched

I really need to have 6 margarita glasses etched as trophies for a nonprofit charity event on June 29th. Each one is slightly unique (e.g. 1st, 2nd, 3rd places). I have the text layout in svg files. With the rotary down I’m hoping to pay to have this done. Does anyone have experience with local commercial shops that would be reasonable for an order this small?

Just tossing out the old ‘vinyl cut mask and chemical etch’ option, if that would git’rdun for you.
Sorry, nothing to add on the questions you actually asked.

2 Likes

That is a reasonable idea I could try. I might be out of time if it fails though. Can you remind me what chemical was used for etching glass? I tried to search talk for the thread but only found metal etching threads.

I suppose another option is to use the vapor hone but I must wonder if the vinyl will stand up to the vapor hone like it did with the sand blaster.

Bearing in mind I’ve not done this personally…
here’s the thread I was thinking of

and he used Armor Etch
So what’s in that?
https://www.glassetchingsecrets.com/blog/whats-etching-cream-made-of/

• Barium Sulfate
  • Sulfuric Acid
  • Sodium Bifluoride
  • and Ammonium Bifluoride

I’ve heard the vapor hone works well, but have never done that, either. I’m sure the vinyl won’t stand up as well as it would to the dry media blaster, but it might do “good enough”…

1 Like

That’s it. Thanks! I ordered 22oz for delivery on Saturday. Anyone, @Team_Science, know if I can use the science vent hood for this or if I just need to get a good fan and do the etching on my back porch?

1 Like

The Science vent hood is not connected to an outside vent at this time. Suggest you use your back porch as you mentioned.

1 Like

There have been classes in the CA Studio using ArmourEtch with know issues. The fumes are really not that strong.

1 Like

You can just use it in your living room, it doesn’t really give off any strong odor. If you’re concerned about the finished look, grab a dollar store glass and test out your design. Small fine details don’t come out as well, but overall the Armor Etch works just fine.

Make sure to clean and dry your glass first. Then give yourself plenty of extra vinyl around the design. Any stray armor etch that ends up on the glass will definitely leave a mark. Make super sure to firmly attach the vinyl too, if you don’t some etching cream will get under the vinyl and ruin the clean lines.

Put plenty of armor etch over the area of the design. If you look through the glass and see thin areas, put more on. You can always scrap excess off back into the container. Leave for 10 or so (more time won’t hurt the piece, less time might leave parts not fully etched so don’t fret about exact timing), scrap excess off, go wash the design, pull off the stencil, then another quick rinse.

3 Likes

wow, 22oz will last you a LOOOOOOOONG time! a little bit goes a LONG way with this stuff. I just dipped a q-tip into the small bottle and built up a blob of the stuff on the areas that I needed etched. Let it sit a few minutes (5-10) and then rinsed it off. No smell, no mess, super easy.

Be sure to have lots of water to rinse it all off when you’re done though. It’s an acid, so I actually had some baking soda handy in case I spilled some on me or the countertop, but again, water was more than adequate to work with this stuff.

As stated above, clean the glass well (use rubbing alcohol if you can) so that the vinyl sticks and doesn’t allow anything to bleed out.

2 Likes