Advice for making a flippable table

I am wanting to have a table that I can flip like a rotary positioner (like this one: http://www.buildprotables.com/images/pdt/positioner_rotate.jpg) for a dinner/gaming table.

I was planning on using some black iron pipes and fittings to make two upside-down “U” shaped legs with a bearing or something as such in the middle

I would appreciate some advice in general but especially on two questions I’m working on:
1.) Is it an okay idea to cut and then weld a bearing in the middle of the two horizontal pipes? Or is there a better way to enable some sort of shaft to rotate? Would just cutting a hole for the shaft through the pipe be okay?

2.) What would be a good way to lock in flat of the table in place after I have rotated it? Is there a type of bearing that has some sort of locking mechanism? Should I just drill some holes in the horizontal pipes and the side of the flat of the table and then have some rod hold them in place?

Thanks for reading! And thanks for any pointers and/or advice!

1 Like

I would suggest not doing a flip table, but instead a 2 top table,with a border that doesn’t change. Here is a video showing one build, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spdescYFqIE

This is because tables tend to have things on them and flipping a table with stuff that can fall off onto the ground is not a great solution. Also, odds are this will likely be a large central table in your home. Meaning it will be used for large events like thanksgiving. Just imagine the mayhem if a full table of items was flipped do to an accident or not properly locking the table into position. With the dual top design, you don’t have those issues.

They already make many flippable tables

3 Likes

For a while I was thinking about making this thing have a small motor that I could activate with my phone for exactly this purpose :smile:

1 Like

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

3 Likes

If you’re not dead set on using metal, Wood Magazine has plans for a wooden version - used to make less-often used tools more easily accessible. I’ve generally been happy with the model designs that Wood Magazine comes up with. These look like they would be adaptable to a dining table approach, although I don’t like the gap between the rotating top and the fixed frame.

From a gaming table/dining table conversion perspective, I like the tables with the sunken center and removable boards which can cover the well for dining. These are typically 3 or 4 boards which fit into a lip at the top of the well and make the surface level across the entire table. Check out this link and the “table top covers” in particular.

https://ultimategametable.com/collections/gamechanger

This also allows you to make a softer gaming surface (cork, felt, funfoam, foam flooring squares are all options) inside the well, or even embed an LCD screen for electronic maps for RPGs if you want to take it over the top.

3 Likes

Thanks! I am actually pretty set on using metal simply because I’ve already been working a lot with wood furniture lately and would like to try something new. But I will keep this in mind, thanks!