Adventures of a New-to me lathe

So I have been poking around for a few months for a lathe. After months of watching I finally found a Monarch 10EE, Well it was in Salina, Kansas.

We went kinda back & forth on a date, which we were supposed to pick it up yesterday. The guy I bought it from ended up having to work yesterday so we just started driving up yesterday afternoon. I ended up with about plan E.5. The original thought was to call a wrecker to load it on my trailer, since the pick up got delayed until today, I figured I’d not bother them on Easter. Plan B/C was to rent either tilt bed or hydraulic tilt bed. I called around, allocated one & went to pick it up Friday. Well wouldn’t you know it, they ended up giving my reserved trailer to someone by someone not watching the paperwork. Plan D was to use my trailer & load it with my engine lift, in getting ready to load test, I found the cylinder was bad. So me & my son welded on the back of the trailer some angle iron to use the ramps/plate to pull it up. That pretty much worked for us, we did have a few modifications of how we’re pulled it up.

On the way up, North of Davis, we had a guy hit our trailer with his wheel on his car caddy trailer going 80. Thankfully the only damage he did was take out my rear light & subsequent fuse. He paid me for a new light & it only cost us an hour & a half in time.

We did stop on the way up at Pop’s in Arcadia. I was interesting, I think its once & blue moon type thing.

We did about 885 miles round trip, towing a trailer. Went through about 70 gallons of diesel, with the return trip having 20-25 mph head wind. Most of the trip we averaged probably 80. The only troubles we had was the guy hitting us & I lost a thin piece of wood between the lathe/trailer. That was due to what was my opinion was a built in Jump outside Tonkawa on 35.

So about the lathe.
Its a Monarch 10EE with 12.5” swing & 20” between centers, it was made in Oct 1939. It came with a DRO, independent 4 jaw, 3 jaw, 5C through spindle collet chuck, BXA tool post & many holders. It is a beautiful machine, not just as functional but it looks good. It is heavy too, about 3500 lbs.

Here is a picture of us loading it & it wrapped up for the journey. We took the front covers off to keep them from falling off in transit. There will me more pictures to come.


18 Likes

Im assuming there will be a shop tour once you get it running. If you need help or supervision setting it up let us know. I don’t know much about Monarch lathes other than we should all bow down when in your prescence

3 Likes

I don’t think you often find metal lathes with that much swing and such a short bed. But as long as you don’t need more, that is usually a more home shop friendly format.

1 Like

This 10EE is hydraulic variable speed drive. They only made this style with the hydraulics for 2 years before going to a Motor Generator setup. They made the 10EE with a 30” between centers but they are more rare. Essentially this model of machine was made from 1939 until the 90’s, they just changed little bit here and there over time.

3 Likes

Now there’s a monarch that you won’t see flitting about in the milkweed!
I have never seen such a machine. Sheer genius getting a machine that takes the same tool standards as the the Shark. Now that I think of the missing Shark four jaw chuck, I just noticed the chuck on it…

In all seriousness, hopefully it did come with a good amount of tooling and isn’t too much of a project itself. Very substantial machine and no doubt will afford many happy turns. If ever you find yourself needing to turn a piece longer than the 20" bed, you can always bring it to the DMS.

Now that was a fine little adventure.
Bob

3 Likes

Here is a picture of the TPI & Feed speeds.

Here is a picture of the spindle speed indicator

I’m going to clean it (the machine) up quite a bit. I’m working on removing the drive assembly now so I can re-wire it for 208-230. It’s mostly pretty easy to remove, the most difficult part is removing the hoses going to the hydraulic filter.

8 Likes

I love that RPM gauge.

1 Like

I pulled my drive system out from the lathe the other day to inspect the wiring & get measurements if I need to remake some parts. The motor is original, it has a date stamp of 2-7-1939. I’ve been messing around with powering it up over the past few days. Originally I was going to power it via 240 single phase through my drive that I have. Unfortunately there is a low DC bus alarm that appears to be firmware encoded. I do know one of the EE that worked on the drive (ABB ACH550), I didn’t feel like calling him about it so I did the next best thing. I bought a 240-480 transformer to give the 480 volt drive the voltage it wanted (DC wise). I set the drive up for 230 output since thats what the motor is wired for. I need to clean the lathe up a lot more than it currently is, including checking the oils & oiler in the cross slide. The cross slide has a stop for threading, basically you set it for the 0 on the cross slide & you can back it out 3 turns, then back to 0 to proceed with threading.
I wired it in today & took some quick passes, using my collet chuck.

10 Likes

It’s gorgeous. Everyone from here to this old Tony should be dripping drool at your find.

1 Like

Beautiful lathe! I have been working on a lathe that I picked up a few years ago on a work swap with a friend years ago and finally decided I had better get working on it or get rid of it. It is way bigger than I needed but the price was right. It is a Clausing 14x48. Let know what you guys think. It is running but needs a lot of work and of course better tooling

2 Likes