Adventures of a New-to me lathe

So I have been poking around for a few months for a lathe. After months of watching I finally found a Monarch 10EE, Well it was in Salina, Kansas.

We went kinda back & forth on a date, which we were supposed to pick it up yesterday. The guy I bought it from ended up having to work yesterday so we just started driving up yesterday afternoon. I ended up with about plan E.5. The original thought was to call a wrecker to load it on my trailer, since the pick up got delayed until today, I figured I’d not bother them on Easter. Plan B/C was to rent either tilt bed or hydraulic tilt bed. I called around, allocated one & went to pick it up Friday. Well wouldn’t you know it, they ended up giving my reserved trailer to someone by someone not watching the paperwork. Plan D was to use my trailer & load it with my engine lift, in getting ready to load test, I found the cylinder was bad. So me & my son welded on the back of the trailer some angle iron to use the ramps/plate to pull it up. That pretty much worked for us, we did have a few modifications of how we’re pulled it up.

On the way up, North of Davis, we had a guy hit our trailer with his wheel on his car caddy trailer going 80. Thankfully the only damage he did was take out my rear light & subsequent fuse. He paid me for a new light & it only cost us an hour & a half in time.

We did stop on the way up at Pop’s in Arcadia. I was interesting, I think its once & blue moon type thing.

We did about 885 miles round trip, towing a trailer. Went through about 70 gallons of diesel, with the return trip having 20-25 mph head wind. Most of the trip we averaged probably 80. The only troubles we had was the guy hitting us & I lost a thin piece of wood between the lathe/trailer. That was due to what was my opinion was a built in Jump outside Tonkawa on 35.

So about the lathe.
Its a Monarch 10EE with 12.5” swing & 20” between centers, it was made in Oct 1939. It came with a DRO, independent 4 jaw, 3 jaw, 5C through spindle collet chuck, BXA tool post & many holders. It is a beautiful machine, not just as functional but it looks good. It is heavy too, about 3500 lbs.

Here is a picture of us loading it & it wrapped up for the journey. We took the front covers off to keep them from falling off in transit. There will me more pictures to come.

19 Likes

Im assuming there will be a shop tour once you get it running. If you need help or supervision setting it up let us know. I don’t know much about Monarch lathes other than we should all bow down when in your prescence

3 Likes

I don’t think you often find metal lathes with that much swing and such a short bed. But as long as you don’t need more, that is usually a more home shop friendly format.

1 Like

This 10EE is hydraulic variable speed drive. They only made this style with the hydraulics for 2 years before going to a Motor Generator setup. They made the 10EE with a 30” between centers but they are more rare. Essentially this model of machine was made from 1939 until the 90’s, they just changed little bit here and there over time.

3 Likes

Now there’s a monarch that you won’t see flitting about in the milkweed!
I have never seen such a machine. Sheer genius getting a machine that takes the same tool standards as the the Shark. Now that I think of the missing Shark four jaw chuck, I just noticed the chuck on it…

In all seriousness, hopefully it did come with a good amount of tooling and isn’t too much of a project itself. Very substantial machine and no doubt will afford many happy turns. If ever you find yourself needing to turn a piece longer than the 20" bed, you can always bring it to the DMS.

Now that was a fine little adventure.
Bob

3 Likes

Here is a picture of the TPI & Feed speeds.

Here is a picture of the spindle speed indicator

I’m going to clean it (the machine) up quite a bit. I’m working on removing the drive assembly now so I can re-wire it for 208-230. It’s mostly pretty easy to remove, the most difficult part is removing the hoses going to the hydraulic filter.

10 Likes

I love that RPM gauge.

1 Like

I pulled my drive system out from the lathe the other day to inspect the wiring & get measurements if I need to remake some parts. The motor is original, it has a date stamp of 2-7-1939. I’ve been messing around with powering it up over the past few days. Originally I was going to power it via 240 single phase through my drive that I have. Unfortunately there is a low DC bus alarm that appears to be firmware encoded. I do know one of the EE that worked on the drive (ABB ACH550), I didn’t feel like calling him about it so I did the next best thing. I bought a 240-480 transformer to give the 480 volt drive the voltage it wanted (DC wise). I set the drive up for 230 output since thats what the motor is wired for. I need to clean the lathe up a lot more than it currently is, including checking the oils & oiler in the cross slide. The cross slide has a stop for threading, basically you set it for the 0 on the cross slide & you can back it out 3 turns, then back to 0 to proceed with threading.
I wired it in today & took some quick passes, using my collet chuck.

11 Likes

It’s gorgeous. Everyone from here to this old Tony should be dripping drool at your find.

1 Like

Beautiful lathe! I have been working on a lathe that I picked up a few years ago on a work swap with a friend years ago and finally decided I had better get working on it or get rid of it. It is way bigger than I needed but the price was right. It is a Clausing 14x48. Let know what you guys think. It is running but needs a lot of work and of course better tooling

2 Likes

The journey continues. Ive re-sheaved a couple times to get the RPM I wanted. I started with the original motor pulley & took it to a 3” pulley. I completely forgot/dawned on me that a 3” is too small for a BX or B belt. I ended up with about 1000 rpm of parasitic loss/slip. So this machine works by the motor drives a hydraulic pump. That hydraulic pump has a swash plate that allows the variable flow to the hydraulic motor. The hydraulic motor has a 5.5” pulley with the spindle having a 7.25” pulley. The Hydraulic pump-motor can only go up to a 1-1 ratio. So ideally you want about 3500 rpm on the hydraulic motor output to count for any other potential losses to get a 2500 Spindle rpm range. So my next set of pulleys was a 4.3” & 9.5”, that didn’t work out so well as the original motor was pulling too much current that I did not see it lasting long. I did not want to be that asshole who burned out an 82 year old motor. Instead of waiting around for some other options to fall in my lap, I went ahead & bought (GASP) a 5hp single phase Baldor motor rated at 3450rpm. This would allow me to go about 1-1 on the pulley ratios. However the frames are different for the motors. So I bought some 1/2” plate & then fabricated the mount for it. I cut it with my plasma cutter at home. I mounted it all up & tested the output with the drive unit out of the lathe. We did change the hydraulic fluid & filter which was an adventure as well. Helluva time trying to find Mobil heavy medium on a Saturday, a couple weeks ago. I ended up with good ol ISO 68 hydraulic oil from TSC. Past couple of days I’ve been cleaning the insides up to put the dive system back in. I also fabricated a replacement starter using a contactor, transformer & terminal block to make it all neat. I finished this evening getting her back together for the duration.
Full out spindle capability of just over 2500 RPM, I pegged the gauge/machine tach.

One other thing I found out is the hydraulic pump/motor had been changed. Certainly not to the standards I would have done, but I did not feel like re-working all of that stuff now. Also its worth mentioning the Hydraulic pump/motor assembly is very similar to what’s in Zero turn mowers & Skid steers.

Now for some more pictures.

Broaching the keyway after machining the ID to 1.188”

With the motor removed before the cleaning.

After cleaning up the pump/motor assembly, this was just a basic wipe down.

Motor mounted with the peckerhead flipped upside down. This is to allow to get to the overload easier. I will be machining a plug for the hole.

The old starter, getting correct sized heaters for it seemed problematic. So I made a backplate to mount all the parts on. This allowed to fabricate the assembly to just drop it in & wire the power/motor/control SS. I made the plate using some aluminum scrap I had laying around. I cut it to size, then drilled-then power tapped all the 10-32 holes.

I think it turned out ok, the transformer has a breaker. I wanted the controls to be 24 volt & not the original 240.

Here it is all wired.

Before cleaning the internal drive compartment.

After some cleaning, I would have loved to spend a bunch more time cleaning the internals but I wanted to get it running. I compromised with cleaning it enough so I dont get filthy reaching back in there.

Here is the new motor next to the old motor.

The drive unit now loaded into the machine.

9 Likes

Beautiful work. What’s it like yo slide the motor/pump assembly in or out, that looks heavy.

You (continue to) amaze me!

1 Like

It’s actually not too bad. The learning curve to get it out was interesting. The assembly site on those 3 pads. It was difficult to see what they were the first time. We improvised by prying it on one side& placing an Allen wrench in the back. The drive unit probably weighs 300 lbs, I could lift one side.

Amazing work Tim. You’re always doing things which are both educational and inspirational.
I love American Restoration and taking older USA made things and bringing them back to life in particular.
Nice work!

1 Like