Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign Classes? Need feedback please!

Checking interest for classes on Illustrator, Photoshop or InDesign.

I have been working with these programs for about 15 years in the printing and apparel industries so I feel confident that I could teach a class at the beginner to intermediate levels.

My current job has me creating how-to manuals for people that don’t speak English as a primary language so I feel like I’m in a good position to help train people on these tools.

1. Which Adobe Creative Suite programs are the most in demand at DMS? (I’m guessing that Illustrator and Photoshop would be at the top of the list, but you can do some really cool stuff with automation and variable data using InDesign)

2. What skill level classes are needed?
    I could teach basics level classes, just teaching the most useful tools and how to use them, or I could teach intermediate classes where there is a certain amount of pre-knowledge assumed.

3. Do you prefer broad classes on the program, or classes focused on specific tools/techniques?

I find that people like classes better when there’s a “project” and I think that calling a class “intermediate” or whatever might turn off people who definitely have the skills to get started but might be hazy on some basics.
So maybe a hybrid class where I gloss over some of the basics and then get into the more fun and impressive tools?

From what I gather the best kind of class to teach would be one focuses on creating laser-ready vectors.
(but honestly that’s a really short class, so my thought)

The other idea I had for a class would be more akin to a workshop where there isn’t a set agenda but instead we convene with projects in mind and focus on problem solving.
Does anyone have experience hosting or attending “classes” of this sort?

ok, this post is reaching TL;DR levels so if anyone here is at all interested in learning any of these programs please sound off about which one and or the kind of projects you want to accomplish.

I’m attaching a PNG that I whipped up in about 2 minutes to show how powerful some of the automation tools are in Illustrator.
I’m sure more than one of you spent more time that you wanted to creating a grid of 100 equally spaced circles.
(attached sample is for demonstrative purposes, zero thought/creativity was used :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

My apologies in advance. I didn’t proofread this carefully since I’m at work.

I also meant to mention that for the sake of hands on learning I would probably bring 2 desktops and 2 or 3 laptops with Adobe CC installed because I understand some people are hesitant to drop the cash for a subscription and I have access so why not :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love some Intermediate > Advanced Illustrator learning. My use is for cutting on the vinyl cutter and laser primarily.

You’re example of the twisting circles is exactly the kind of manipulation I’d like to learn. I have my own laptop with Illustrator.

3 Likes

Great to hear! The class that I would have the most fun teaching would focus on that stuff. I can see that being helpful to a lot of makers.

So the title of the course might be something like “Complex Vectors Made Easy” with a focus on automating difficult or tedious tasks and outputting cut-ready vectors.

I’ve also had a lot of fun using greyscale artwork to create dimensioned artwork for the shapeoko, though I’m ashamed to say that I haven’t made time to actually cut/mill those designs.

1 Like

Jordan @creaturecarousel taught a class consisting of a couple of hours of demo and Q & A; it was well attended.

I’d be interested in Photoshop for editing my jewelry photos. I used Elements way back, so I have grasp of basics (i.e. layers, simple tweaks) but it’s been awhile, and full photoshop has way more too. I’d be interested in a refresher/basics, then something that digs a little deeper like a class focused on photo editing (lighting, color balance, etc) vs adding lots of special effects

Illustrator, I’d be interested. A complete beginner but what Jorge mentioned about it being useful for some of the other stuff here…that’s held me back from other tools here, so I’d be interested in designing for files that would work on say vinyl or laser tools.

A couple of other notes:

Re general undesignated project/lab worknight type classes

Those get REAL iffy about being approved for honorarium. It’s preferred to have specific content and agenda.

That being said, there is a need for some sort of support for folks with new skills but still have a lot of questions, need support, want to do specific personal project but have particular challenges and need mentoring, or just not enough confidence to leave the nest. Plus sometimes it’s just nice to hang with a few others working on the own projects but all similar media and share inspiration and ideas.

What we do in fibers, I coordinate the schedule with folks so we have a flow of a few weeks of classes by various teachers (honorarium) then every couple-few weeks we have a Fiberholic Fiberfrolic night (event, non-honorarium) where folks come, hang, bring their own projects, socialize. Plus folks needing help with a newly learned skill or needing to catch quick tool training, or learn something we don’t have enough to consider a class for…we fit that all into the Frolic nights. The key thing is since it’s technically a “worknight” vs a structured class, I put them on the calendar as an Event and it’s non-honorarium. The other things, while things benefit from being on the calendar for folks to see, events can be spontaneous quicker things since not required to adhere to the 10-day (240hr) lead time an honorarium class requires.

I’m getting rolling teaching wire jewelry classes and my eventual plan once I get a few classes and students down the road is to set up the occasional worknight event and folks bring their personal projects and hang out, and can get a little help with new skills if they need it.

Re small classes
This is partly from some concerns you mentioned on the other thread about feeling like the drive is to pack classes (too big) for honorarium classes making, etc

I think the training class you might be referencing on other thread could have been when there was a backlog for folks to get approved to use tools that they were needing to run through. I think the effort is to keep those smaller now for lots of reasons.

There are big classes, true. But there are LOTS of the tools and skills around here, especially hands-on detailed content, that it just takes a smaller class or few benefit. That’s part of the reason I think the minimum for honorarium needs to stay at 3 (not increase to five as someone suggested on another thread) because the smaller classes need the wiggle room to be able to cap at a workable number and still have a no-show or two (not sure there’s an easy solution there) and not kill the honorarium.

Anyway, I’ve found that capping a smaller class is fine if there’s reasonable interest and a couple no-shows are annoying (lots of reasons) but not too bad. I’m capping my jewelry classes at 6 because if everyone shows, I know from past experience that above that number makes it hard to watch folks closely and affects the pace of the class. Fiber classes, we cap based on the content and logistics (6-10 usually). Usefully it’s tools available or logistics (seating). Frolics are open seat because it’s a freeforall anyways :slight_smile:

I’m about to schedule a weaving class which involves a ton of personal prep time, the tool is more limited (can only fit so much warp on), and some other logistics. I’ll be capping it at 5 probably and putting a materials fee at registration in it to cover costs. It’s cutting it a little close to allow for flaking, but I think it’ll be fine. In general, I’ve had pretty good luck making honorarium on smaller classes. It helps to spread the word and remind folks if the registration needs help. It’s helped a lot posting reminders on Fb along with the class link. I’d recommend posting in the Fb Dallas Makerspace creative arts group for sure.

And what you’re doing here, interest checking is good. Just remember Talk is the tip of the iceberg, and only a percentage on it, so if you get even a few responses here, it’s a good sign. Then schedule the class far enough out it can be on the calendar a couple weeks or more is really good when possible.

I have found it useful to include a blurb in class description about PLEASE cancel registration if something comes up so it frees up the spot for someone else. It seems to help. Some folks, it doesn’t occur to them.

3 Likes

Thank you for your thoughtful reply! Lots to chew on here!
I’m glad you pointed that out, this was something that I figured could be really helpful to some people, but I see how the nebulous nature of that sort of thing isn’t conducive to the honorarium system.

My solution would be to have a pow-wow after the class for Q&A and problem solving. Every time I meet with other artists to share information I learn something new, so I look forward to that section. :smiley:

I’m definitely going to start drafting a class for Illustrator, it would have to be in August because I’m going to be in Ohio for the next 2 weeks.

It seems that Photoshop is a close second as far as demand goes so I will start thinking about what a PS course would include. I’ve been using PS since the pre-CC days so I will need more feedback on what aspects of PS people at DMS want to learn, as it can get as deep or as shallow as necessary.

1 Like

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best classroom to pick for this?

Also should I limit the class size? How many?

I definitely see what @kyrithia said about over-full classes being a problem of back-log…
I kinda doubt that there would be so much demand that my class got overcrowded, but I sure don’t want to lose the benefits that come from smaller class sizes.

EDIT: also curious if anyone has a preference towards evening vs weekend classes?

Definitely interested in classes for both Photoshop, and especially Illustrator. I’ve used them for years, but self-taught so there are some holes to fill in in my knowledge, so I would be interested in Intermediate level and focused classes. I’ve never gotten into InDesign, but would be interested more in a basic class for that.

InDesign can be really fun if you’re into making zines and stuff!
Basically if you’re working with large amounts of text or need variable data or multi-page documents, you need InDesign.
InDesign really shines when you’re able to integrate your work from Illustrator or Photoshop, but the actual tools for creating art in it are limited.

It looks like Illy is definitely where I will start, it also seems that I will need to teach a basics course and an intermediate course to be the most useful.

What’s hard for me to gauge though is where “beginner” stops and “intermediate” begins…
So for anyone interested in the basics course, please comment here or send me a PM regarding the specifics of what you want to learn so that I get a feel for where people are at.

1 Like

Re best classroom
I see a lot of the computer classes in purple and lecture hall. Others can speak better to that, or why (maybe some feature?) but it’s a start. The main thing is go check out the rooms you’re looking at and see if it has what you want. You can choose to have it anywhere it’s open. I ~think~ there’s a way to show stuff on overhead screen in some rooms, so you might look into that and how.

Re capping class size
It’s all how many people you feel comfortable teaching and the equipment. I would cap just to be safe, unless sky’s the limit for ya :slight_smile: because a class that’s useful in lots of ways here and hasn’t been offered in a long time might be hard to predict response.

Re day/weekend preferences
For me personally, I like m/w/f week nights (generally tues/thurs are committed for me already). I can do weekends, but not my first choice.

Re have to wait until August
That actually works good. Get it written up and submitted then plenty of time for it to be on calendar.

Re after class, further support
Your suggestion above, like this. Good idea.

Re random points

1. include some kind of contact info for questions in your description. It’s been several times now I wish I could contact an instructor with a question before/after class but no idea how

2. IMPORTANT
    If you haven’t yet, turn in your W9 to finance ASAP so you can get into the system (otherwise your check will be delayed until it’s in there). There’s a link to the form at the bottom of when you submit a class (can just pop in there for the link if you need). @Photomancer can tell you most efficient way to turn it in

3. in general, the class process for honorarium is fairly easy but there are a couple of places where you want to be careful you follow because it’s fairly unforgiving if you miss them. First, to be eligible for honorarium, it has to be submitted at least 10 days (specifically 240 hours) ahead. Second, you must be careful to go back in after class and record attendance within 24 hours.

1 Like

I would also like one in photo editing and I think I know others that would also

1 Like

Lecture Hall has the whiz-bang projector, and it’s NIIICE if your’e trying to project. Bigger and brighter than anything else.
The screens in “Interactive” and Purple are good, but for something like text where you need people to follow along, really too small. Knowing what I know about what you’re trying to teach (virtually nothing), any of them should be fine for the “showing the tools” parts, but the Lecture Hall will be best for “fill in the properties boxes” events.

All of these have the drawback of not enough table/power for anything large. But there are (supposed to be) tables and power strips which can be used for any of them Purple usually has these pre-set up.

If you keep the classes less than 10, any of these 3 should be fine, but Purple is nice because it’s smaller, and you don’t feel like you’re sucking up a large room for just a few folks.

However. Again, I know virtually nothing about USING any of the software you’re discussing, but I think I’d lean toward Lecture Hall, with its bigger, brighter projector, even for just 8-10 folks. Give 'em all a front row seat! :thumbsup:

2 Likes

I currently use inkscape to create designs for the plasmacam. I would love to learn Illustrator, I had a subscription but canceled it since I couldn’t really learn it on my own

3 Likes