Adjusting / cleaning vintage leaf switches

I just repaired my Asteroids Deluxe, and at the same time, swapped back in the original leaf switches. A couple of the buttons seem to give a slightly sluggish, “heavy” response, especially the fire button. Before I start fiddling with them, I thought I’d ask if any of you have experience tuning these for the smooth touch these switches are famous for.

Thanks!

Dave

Edit: added image

Interesting,
Add a pictures, because there are many types of leaf switches. Heavy or hard to push tends to suggest that there might be some gunk in the system. Make sure everything is clean. The second issue might be that the leaf is flexed too far out providing too much tensions. But, more than likely dirt is the culprit with old buttons.

Added the image above. Then I decided to post again. . .

I read online to avoid cleaning compounds and abrasives, and saw multiple suggestions to use a piece of paper or business card to clean the contacts, so I swiped each contact with a business card a few times in the fully depressed position. No problem with the contacts–the switches work every time, but the switches still feel like I’m using more pressure than I’d like.

I had the fire button on a circuit that powers up the machine when “fire” is pressed, and powers down if it’s not pressed for some time interval. Just in case that was affecting latency somehow, I just removed that circuit and tried the machine again with the switch inserted “raw”, and I cannot tell any difference.

I also ordered some of these switches, to see how they feel:

Dave

If you go in tonight vector is teaching a class on switches, cleaning and adjusting

Class starts at 7 …

Noooo!

That would be just perfect, but I can’t go. Will there be any video? So sorry to miss this!

Dave

That is a old style leaf switch, very similar to the switches used in Pinball machines. As for cleaners, we need to be specific as to what we are cleaning. For contacts, I suggest a small amount of Deoxit. This is a solvent, so try to keep it off the plastic. As for cleaning plastic, I like a low to medium concentration of Simple Green. This is a very mild cleaner and shouldn’t be strong enough to eat away plastic or bleach the components. If the requires deeper cleaning, then I bring in the Novus line of cleaners. These are a mild abrasive cleaner/polish meant speciffically for plastics. Novus 2 being the most commonly used to bring back the new plastic shine, you can follow with Novus 1 if you like.

Odds are the leaf section of the switch doesn’t need any adjustment. Rather, I would disassemble the button and make sure all the interior parts are perfectly clean. Because a small amount of sugar residue or grunge in there can came the button cycle kind of crappy. If this doesn’t solve the issue, the surface of your plastic may be a bit rough. I would first try lubricating with the lightest coating of Super Lube. We are talking super light coating, meaning rub a little between your fingers then use your finger to rub it on the internal plastic surfaces. If the button has a hidden captured spring inside the housing, if this is in bad shape it may also add to the heavy feel and may need to be replaced.

So now that I’ve explained the process, I would suggest you pop by DMS for the class that @engpin suggested. As VECTOR I believe has all the suggested cleaners and lubricants I mentioned and there are members willing to help you out for your first try.

Just set up a time with me to pop In And I can give you the run down