Adjusted valves, audible ticking now heard

Preface: Don’t adjust your valves just because.

My valves were very quiet before I made any adjustments. I have a set of no-go metric feeler gauges, and I only did the intake valves.

K20z3 engine. I set piston TDC with a long magnet, at the end of the intake cycle.

Tolerance on the valve spring is 0.008 - 0.010in(.21-.25mm)

I used 3 gauges, 7-9, 8-10, and 10-12. I made a chart marking each valve Loose OK Tight. I then measured both valves on each piston at TDC individually. If the gauge fit, I marked it. Two valves were high, one was low. I had a bit of a time adjusting everything to spec. After 3 or so rounds of adjustments on those valves, I felt everything was in spec. I then torqued the jam nuts(14/lbs) and re-inspected. A small adjustment was needed after torqueing on one valve. Once again, everything seemed in spec.

I will say that I’m not sure what the appropriate amount of “drag” is on the gauges.

Put the valve cover back on. Cold, the engine sounds good. But after it warms up, I can hear one(just sounds like one) valve ticking.

First Question: Does it sound like I performed the adjustment correctly?

Is there any way to identify the offending valve before I pull the cover again? I have Flashpro, not sure if any metrics will help me from there.

Car drives, and I at least know I did not over tighten :slight_smile:

1 Like

stethoscope can be amazingly helpful in this realm, sometimes…
4 Likes