Additional Bridgeport classes needed

See new posting on Talk. I just submitted a classroom portion for the Bridgeport on Sunday, 1-27-2019 at 10:00AM.

15 slots available. This will meet the per-requisite for the at machine portion. I’ll schedule some other classes for the Bridgeport portion.

@BobKarnaugh do we want to do this for the lathe also as an option.

2 Likes

Should we maybe set up to videotape you? If you’re giving a 1-1/2 hr class that more specifically addresses what we want people to understand before they get to take the hands-on, that would at least be shorter than the current video. Plus, you get to stress what exactly Machine Shop wants folks to know.

Not sure what the point would be. I.e. Why make a video of class that is for people that don’t want to watch a video? This is for members that prefer in-person training.

Doing it in person allows questions - the class adjusts somewhat based on level students are at.

4 Likes

a 1.5 hour video would be a whole lot easier to watch than 4 hours

2 Likes

I must admit – the in-person class is vastly preferable to the video. However, if we are assuming that we need more hands-on folks, and having a more tailored video would help folks that are bogged down by the 4 hour video, and free up some more instructors, our own tailored video is probably preferable.

1 Like

Could they go from your class to take the quiz? Membership in the AD group for passing the quiz also indicates demand for the machine-side class.

Alternately, your class can enter students into that group, but some may take your class as a refresher without wanting the machine-side.

Edit: clarified my rationale and thought process.

1 Like

I assumed it would be a check-off for attendance and AD check on the teacher form. Didn’t have a test before, if you were there I know you heard it. The test for online is probably more to prove you watched them.

The question is whether and what AD group your class should set. Having them take the quiz is the path of least resistance for our limited volunteers.

I just read through Bob’s excellent slide show and passed the quiz. Granted that I have taken your class several times in the distant past. Most of the quiz answers were in the slide show and the rest can be reasoned or looked up.

I do not believe that watching the MIT videos will be needed to pass the quiz, though they are recommended for anyone who wants to be good at machining.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/9508

1 Like

Learners coming to DMS two separate times to get through Bridgeport is bound to produce its own torrent of complaints. And there are some draw backs:

A one hour or even hour and a half class is mainly enough to do the slide show. And would not afford any benefit resembling the MIT video series (The Bridgeport part is more like 3 hours). Seeing techniques demonstrated by a professional shop steward that knows both the machining side and the difficulties of learners with the techniques is of real value. I have been getting good feed back on the self study/quiz method and particularly on the value of the MIT videos from class participants. This is a case where more is better. The Bridgeport is a major machine tool and there is a lot to know. It is not unreasonable to expect the learner to make a small commitment in exchange for using DMS equipment that is some what hazardous, expensive, and has a bit of complexity. Particularly a commitment that will enhance the probably of success in its use.

The longer self study material is likely more convenient than the shorter proposed class. The self study allows the learner to adopt the learning to their own schedule needs. It is difficult for example to attend in DMS class while waiting for the dryer to finish or the slow cooker to time out or while waiting for your flight at the airport or even for your mother in law to stop talking. But with the slide show and videos one can do some as time fits it in.

It would be an interesting experiment if learners are given the choice, which would they choose? But if they don’t elect to view the MIT videos in addition to the in class lecture, they would be short changing themselves. Realistically, persons can pass the quiz without viewing the MIT videos if they pay good attention to the slide show. Once the cute, subject relevant password is 2 thirds emerged, most should get the rest. But they would need to be right on the DMS safety and expected practices along with a couple of the most basic machine concepts to reach that point.

We don’t have enough teachers as it is, so enlarging the teaching obligations might not be the best way to go. The Board would rightfully reject paying an honorarium for both part I and II. So there would be likely a part I class that would not pay an honorarium; that could prove less than motivating for some could be teachers and even the committee.

6 Likes

Good points as always, Bob.

Speaking as one auditor, I will let both parts I and II pass as they are more worthy than many of the other classes lately.

2 Likes