Acrylic on wood lathe?

I would appreciate it, if you allowed me to speak for myself, rather than spinning up something you wish I’d said, to provide you with an opportunity to grind your own political axe.

I find it funny you don’t appreciate other talking for you and spinning your words. Based on how you did the same thing earlier in this exact thread.

Example:

1 Like

For what it is worth I’ll throw my 2 cents in. I have a lot of experience on wood lathes and have taught woodturning at a gallery in St Louis for over 10 years. Turning acrylic or plastic on a lathe with the tools you have at the space is a non-issue. Will they dull the tools quicker? Yes they will but so will dense woods. I only use tools that I can sharpen myself so I really never let this affect me but I realize the space buys replacement cutters which causes some concern. I use mostly V10 steel tools and do not see a great reduction in the cutting edge versus dense woods like osage orange or even african blackwood. The carbide cutters hold an edge for a very long time and I do not see any reason to prevent their use on plastic materials. If this is an issue the OP can contact me and I will let them use my tools to complete their project some evening when we can meet up. It will even come with a free lesson on how to use more traditional tools. Acrylic, PVC and stabilized blanks are all going to be slightly harder on the tools, the lathe won’t know the difference. These materials are a lot of fun to turn and I see no reason to limit them. I will agree though that if the process is to take it to the chair then do that.

2 Likes

I am not an authorized spokesperson of the Woodshop committee, though I do voice my opinion in the benevolent dictatorship when needed.

I believe that some of the material restrictions on some of the tools has to do with the dust collection as well as “gumming up” the tools. (I’m ignoring using the router to mill metal here). If the lathes don’t use the overhead system and the tools are neither damaged or gummed up you should be fine. (read prior disclaimer)

Don’t forget to clean up your shavings, please.

Finally. That’s the real reason I asked … because of the “gumming up” and the shavings. I figured that the tool wear was negligible compared to the Bois d’Arc (i.e., Osage Orange) stump I’m currently turning.

But I can easily ask Tom.

Thanks all!