Acrylic on wood lathe?

This is something that all turners should be aware of and do a little research on and material that you plan to turn.

Turning produces fine dust. The dust from most materials will only cause irritation to the eyes, nose and mouth. Others such as Walnut can produce a mild laxative effect. And some exotic woods like Hemlock are Toxic and linked to nasal cancer.

Point being you should always know about the Material before you start to work on it.

1 Like

The Wood Database is an excellent resource for information about specific wood types and their workability, as well as a great chart on wood allergies and toxicity..

Since it’s the “wood database” it doesn’t contain any information about acrylics.

1 Like

I have seen people in the past turning acrylic on a few of the lathes. Plastics will not dull out the lathe hand tools any faster than wood. As far as dust goes, I recommend wet sanding plastics, it’s a bit messier but keeps down the fine dust.

1 Like

This is something the Woodshop Committee needs to determine. So far as I know, at present, the only plastic working permitted in the Woodshop, is on the table saw, with the special plastics blade we purchased. There’s a meeting of the Committee on the 23rd, please attend and put your request to the group.

As to wet sanding, this requires preparation to ensure no water gets on the cast iron parts in the shop. You should seek out Tom Cook, and request help, before attempting to do this. Water and cast iron do not mix.

Thumbs down to the bureaucracy comment. The main concerns with plastic are clean up. Let the bureaucrats have a day off. Your not hurting anything on the lathe.

1 Like

I see. So you believe you should be allowed to do whatever you want to do, whenever you want to do it, without regard to the people who work to purchase, maintain, and fix the tools (AKA the volunteers in the Woodshop committee).

They’ve been teaching pen turning and making pens since we got the first lathe after the move. Hasn’t been a problem with them yet. Now you want to kick them out?

1 Like

Is the wood shop no longer a benevolent dictatorship like every other successful committee at DMS? If it is, then the only person who needs to be consulted would be Tom.

Also it is my understanding that there was a specific lathe that was intended for pen turning. Pens are routinely turned from items other then wood such as tagua nuts and acrylic. Further, I believe that to use any lathe at the space requires taking a training class, so perhaps that would be the best place to ask the question.

It’s possible Walter, but the only answer I’ve heard to date is the one I gave, FWIW. As to the Woodshop, Tom is certainly the Chairman, and free to give answers as he deems fit, but the woodshop has also routinely met and voted on many of the decisions required to run the shop - at least in the time I’ve been here.

With respect to “Benevolent Dictators”, I think you can look throughout the space, and without exception - the more active and democratic the Committees are, the more busy and vibrant the area involved is.

I respectfully disagree. You joined at the tail end of the previous science committee debacle which was largely the result of a weak chair and a committee that tried to operate as a democracy. My understanding is that the longer term members can provide you additional examples.

Nope, I’ve been here 8-9 months now, and saw that all happen. I don’t think you can equate the effect an “interesting” Committee Chairman has, with other committees regardless, and the two largest, and most active spaces in the place, are also the two with the most participatory committees.

There is a major difference between participation and democracy. If the ‘committee’ can make decisions and rulings then we (DMS) have a history of failure. If the only person who can make the decisions is the appointed committee chair then you have a dictatorship, which DMS has a history of being the only successful way of governing.

Participation is good, democracy not so much.

Now to return this to the OP, I suggest @John_Marlow take the lathe class and ask Tom her question.

I would invite you to walk out in the space on any night of the week, turn a 360 degree circle, and count heads in the spaces. The result speaks for itself.

And sorry, but participation and democracy are synonomous. If you’d like to argue the point, may I point out that I have the entirety of human history with which to support, that dictatorships, monarchies, etc etc have often produced great architecture, yet Never served the interests of those they governed. Its never worked anywhere else, and clearly isn’t working here either.

Only thing I can really say is that people turn acrylic and stabilized wood pens at the space. It obviously hasn’t been too much of an issue or we would all know the answer.

Finishes applied while on the lathe can be an issue as well, but that hasn’t seemed to present an issue. Clean up is the only issue.

1 Like

So based on this statement, you are going to propose at the next woodshop meeting that the committee governance model be changed from benevolent dictatorship where Tom can spend money as he sees fit, to consensus where all spending must be voted at a committee meeting?

1 Like

I would appreciate it, if you allowed me to speak for myself, rather than spinning up something you wish I’d said, to provide you with an opportunity to grind your own political axe.

I find it funny you don’t appreciate other talking for you and spinning your words. Based on how you did the same thing earlier in this exact thread.

Example:

1 Like

For what it is worth I’ll throw my 2 cents in. I have a lot of experience on wood lathes and have taught woodturning at a gallery in St Louis for over 10 years. Turning acrylic or plastic on a lathe with the tools you have at the space is a non-issue. Will they dull the tools quicker? Yes they will but so will dense woods. I only use tools that I can sharpen myself so I really never let this affect me but I realize the space buys replacement cutters which causes some concern. I use mostly V10 steel tools and do not see a great reduction in the cutting edge versus dense woods like osage orange or even african blackwood. The carbide cutters hold an edge for a very long time and I do not see any reason to prevent their use on plastic materials. If this is an issue the OP can contact me and I will let them use my tools to complete their project some evening when we can meet up. It will even come with a free lesson on how to use more traditional tools. Acrylic, PVC and stabilized blanks are all going to be slightly harder on the tools, the lathe won’t know the difference. These materials are a lot of fun to turn and I see no reason to limit them. I will agree though that if the process is to take it to the chair then do that.

2 Likes

I am not an authorized spokesperson of the Woodshop committee, though I do voice my opinion in the benevolent dictatorship when needed.

I believe that some of the material restrictions on some of the tools has to do with the dust collection as well as “gumming up” the tools. (I’m ignoring using the router to mill metal here). If the lathes don’t use the overhead system and the tools are neither damaged or gummed up you should be fine. (read prior disclaimer)

Don’t forget to clean up your shavings, please.

Finally. That’s the real reason I asked … because of the “gumming up” and the shavings. I figured that the tool wear was negligible compared to the Bois d’Arc (i.e., Osage Orange) stump I’m currently turning.

But I can easily ask Tom.

Thanks all!