Acme Creation Lab {in Dallas} fire

Acme Creation Labs Facebook looks like they had a (comparatively) small structure fire. Pictures have been taken from the Facebook page.

Many many moons ago when I was WAY more involved we organized a makercrawl to Acme. Look at us looking all sassy and not socially distanced. I’m assuming (but I don’t really know) that it was the side office (look for the picture with the pup) based on my broken sense of spacial awareness.

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.16.56 PM

1 Like

How tragic. As makers we can all appreciate the heartache that would accompany losing treasured works.

2 Likes

2 Likes

The impression I’ve gotten from their Facebook this year is that safety is an afterthought. It’s unfortunate what happened and hopefully nobody got hurt.

3 Likes

Maybe that’ll change. Looks like a good deal of flooding from the sprinklers. Wonder how much equipment got ruined.

I cant believe I didn’t notice they were grilling inside in that picture until I read @lukeiamyourfather post and looked up again. My God.

3 Likes

The Maker-Crawl was wonderful, thank you for organizing that, as usual great idea of yours.

1 Like

What sprinklers.

1 Like

Flooding could also be from firefighters putting it out. That’s common in residential fires.

1 Like

Having been through a house fire in the past, whats not ruined by fire is generally ruined by smoke or water. I lost a lot of tools that my grandpa gave me before he passed away.

They didn’t have fire sprinklers? I figured that’d be required by code.

New buildings yes… older buildings are not very quick to adopt the measure.

In Plano & Frisco(I’m sure many others as well) its code to have glow in the dark strips in the stairwells. Also in buildings over 10 stories have airpack (for fire fighters)recharge stations.

2 Likes

Like @tbjk says - there are situations where it’s required and other situations where it’s not.

One requirement is that if part of the space is sprinklered - the entire space must be. That’s one reason that suite 102 was attractive to us. It already had fire sprinklers, which were required in order for us to combine the space with suite 104. We were told by the property manager that the other two suites in our building are not sprinklered.

3 Likes

I too was literally in a house as it started to burn as a kid. Traumatic. Started in my room because of me. I was a kid who left a fan on. Thankfully nobody got hurt but that smoke is toxic and the water unrelenting. It’s just terrible.
My heart goes out to them and I hope they are able to recover quickly.

I had a small fire in a gym bag of synthetic clothes in my garage, the smoke was so thick it blocked all light and the sound from my garage door. Opened the door from our house into the garage, it was a wall of silent black, took a few moments to realize I was smelling smoke. Put it out with my fire extinguisher, called insurance and they said don’t touch anything until the adjuster arrived. By a week later all of my tools stored above waste level were covered in soot and rust apparently caused by fire extinguisher. Insurance cleaned the oily soot but it took me a few years to derust everything. The fire took maybe 5"x5" of paint off the toolchest the gym bag was sitting on.

Sounds like my garage

2 Likes

Thank god I keep all my tools on the ground, instead of putting them back in the tool chest when I was done with them.

8 Likes