ACLU does not think individuals should own guns?

I completely agree. For something this important, or at very least that some are saying is so important, there are some very straightforward ways to get everyone that wants to vote a voter ID.

Who wrote the charter for the FEC? The cartel did!

You are correct, the cartel makes it almost impossible for 3rd-party candidates to get on the ballot. Onerous may not be a strong enough word?

Just as Teddy Roosevelt eliminated the threat of the “robber barons”, we need a powerful leader to eliminate the threat of the embedded 2-parties.

“Roosevelt, a Progressive reformer, earned a reputation as a “trust buster” through his regulatory reforms and anti-trust prosecutions…”

Trump could do it, but I’m not sure being a “party buster” is on his bucket list.

And also throwing up hurdles to voter registration. Why the heck that has to be a separate system from state-issued ID baffles the mind. I realize the unpleasant history of such in this region, however those reprehensible practices should be dead and buried at this point. Validate eligibility as part of issuing ID - citizen, not barred from voting - you’re on the rolls done and dusted without that extra layer of government that’s supposedly so detested.

Couple of things here.

This process is not simple for any number of reasons. There are however some things that make it easy if you are static in the area where you live.

If you get an id card or drivers license. They offer to register you to vote.

The complexity comes due to the fact that counties are the smallest unit of measure for texas. If you move counties you have to re-register.

I’m not really buying the bit for hurdles to voter registration, there are tons of options. Also the application requires a minimal amount of effort

I’ve had multiple registration attempts fail both via drivers license renewal and online. Finally sent in a freaking physical form. Ineptitude, perhaps. But given the region’s history, I’m not feeling generous.

I don’t doubt it’s a proper function of county government per the state Constitution. I feel that adding a bit to the DPS ID database, staff, whatnot would be markedly more efficient.

While no doubt possibly more efficient, inappropriate, mainly due to the concept of county etc etc

Voting in FEDERAL elections voter requirements can set by Constitution, 26th Amendment in 1971 established it as 18 - mainly as a result of the draft for Vietnam war. That’s what “Eve of Destruction” lyric … you’re old enough to die, but not for votin’ was about

Section 1.
The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.
Section 2.
The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Note amendment refers to citizens right to vote at 18 and passing appropriate legislation to enforce. This is where Voter ID laws come from: Prove your a citizen and age 18. Now how to do that is where things get “controversial”. I put in quotes because just about anything else you want to do requires ID, but to ask for it is controversial.

Birth certificates can be obtained free if you qualify, as can state issued ID’s. These free options are available to indigent/low income persons because it can be considered a “Poll Tax” if required. A Driver’s license doesn’t have to be issued free, ID’s do if you qualify.

The “need to register by county” thing is an artificial hurdle created by the state. It doesn’t have to be that way, we just accept it.

Same with DPS handling voter ID certificates - it doesn’t have to be that way. But we just accept that we have to go to a DPS office, during their hours, because that’s what the system is.

Then they shut down DPS offices due to budget cuts and people who can’t get there easily, we’ll thats too bad for them.

Registering by county makes sense. Many elections require you be a resident of that county to vote. People can have multiple addresses but the one they designate as their “legal residence” determines where you can vote.

Your legal address determines all sorts of districts (reps, taxing, fire, etc.) you can vote for. Mine split on the next street, determines what what state seats and what federal house I can vote in. With gerrymandering I’m not surprised apartment dwellers aren’t in different districts.

I suppose they also think the right to free speech is also a collective right?

And it appears that they didn’t actually read U.S. vs. Miller. That case was about a guy convicted of possessing a sawed-off shotgun, recently made illegal. Miller wasn’t represented at that point and didn’t show up at the Supreme Court. In his absence, only the government argued. They argued that sawed-off shotguns had no military purpose and thus civilians had no right to them, completely leaving out the fact that our troops used them in WW1 less than two decades before.

Had the government been truthful and admitted that a sawed-off shotgun was a useful military weapon, Miller might have turned out very differently.

My understanding of having to show proof that one is a citizen to be allowed to vote comes from the differences in the rights of a visiting tourist, legal resident and citizen.
Only the citizen has the right to vote, serve on a jury and perhaps another right or two that I am not remembering.
Every other right/privilege are granted to legal residents(including firearm ownership).
Visitors(like tourists) usually have less rights/privileges(like purchasing/owning firearms. having government issued ID like driver’s licenses) but are generally free to move about like citizens.
Loosely think of it as the access card to the company property. You need it to be able enter and access certain areas of the company which a guest or visitor who transacts business to the company will not have nor should have.
While it can be considered a burden to get one by some/many particularly when made to be cumbersome to acquire by government regulators(for whatever ulterior motives), it can also be made easy enough to acquire if so desired, one would think.
Think of it as the keys to the house, not everyone can have it and consider oneself fortunate to have the right to have it.
Home owners can do (almost)anything to their homes, visitors can’t(at least not without having to face the ire of the house owner).

Speaking of citizens and non citizens, here’s some data re how many citizens and non citizens are in the U.S.

taken from:

Surprising numbers if you believe them and the media quoted number(11M) of illegal immigrants in the U.S. That amounts to half of the non citizen residents.

Article on recent Yale study estimates about how many illegal immigrants(much more than media quoted) in the US:

Article on some less known facts about illegal immigration:

Kinda makes one wonder how off either the Kaiser numbers, or the Yale numbers are. Or what the actual numbers really may be.

Edit:
P.S. Also makes one wonder how many people are actually in the US at any given point in time.

:+1:
It would interesting though to know what the framers were thinking of when they went with electoral college.
My impression is that each state should have equal say in picking president, and with a majority vote deal, that won’t ever happen due to population differences and that the electoral college is the best solution they thought of.
The question that comes up is why is there a discrepancy in the number of constituents per representative from state to state.
The answer is population density per district (no more than 1 rep per 30,000) and the Permanent Apportionment Act .

Which leads to more interesting questions that each citizen should be asking their representatives.

To me it says:
More reps = more money needed = less money per current or future rep = why there aren’t more representatives.