AC Recovery machine project

I have an old fully self contained R12 freon recovery /recycling machine that “might, could, would, may” be converted for use with R134a freon.

I spoke to Tim about converting it earlier this month.

MAC Tools model ACRRC 750 (Google it - in case anyone else is interested)

2 Likes

Heck, my pickup still runs on R12. Don’t convert yet! :wink:

It’s not a big deal to convert it. Fittings & maybe a filter drier. We will probably have to come up with some sort of policy about the refrigerant.

Run whatcha brung?
/s

& training. We dont want to end up with mixed refrigerant to dispose of.

Tim

No need to, no one reads the signs around around here anyway. The ones who care listen to the training and learn
The ones that don’t care - they ignore rules and warnings no matter how big or bright you print them in

We may need to get the tank Hydro’d depending on the certs on it now.

1 Like

The unit is one heavy mo fo without the tank!!!
It does have the tank…and no idea what vintage it

I may be able to swing by with it some time late Monday - will you be around ?

Also picked up a safety clean air powered non tree hugger friendly enclosed air agitation solvent small parts cleaner. The type where you lower the perforated steel basket into the solution,clamp the lid closed, turn the timer, go grab lunch, return to a bright and shiny basket of carb parts.

2 Likes

If you have R12 by all means keep it R12 if possible. It is much better than any conversion.

I have one car left that is R12 well 2 technically one car one truck(but by Mr Strickland’s terms it isn’t a truck).
But I have a supply of R12…which will go with the car when it finds a new home

1 Like

Depending on the car, that R12 might be worth more. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I heard that propane is almost a perfect r12 replacement, ive done about zero research to support that, but i heard it from a pretty reputable source.

Other than it being somewhat flammable yes it makes a fantastic R12 clone

1 Like

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if there was any update on the ACRRC 750 conversion?

Would kill to have a recovery machine at the space. Ironically was just talking to Allen about it last night. Disposing of Freon, via EPA guidelines of course, is getting expensive when needing to service a/c systems…

1 Like

This would be useful but this is a very old thread. I’d think that if we had such a machine we’d need to restrict access aggressively. For instance, would there be any value in requiring Section 609 certification + any applicable training for anyone using a recycle/reclaim machine at the space? Perhaps we’d need to track usage as well? (Random thoughts)

I suspect that if the requirements got too difficult then folks would just vent the refrigerant before they got to the space.

Without any consideration of the legalities and potential liability (which are valid concerns), I’d make it easier, not harder, to do the right thing.

I am 608 and 609 certified. They are easy enough to get that perhaps a requirement isn’t too much to ask.

This was brought up way back when I was chair of automotive, along with other pieces of equipment. Once you’ve been around the Makerspace a while, one (not just you) finds that there are too many folks that abuse the tools and equipment and just don’t give a shite.

A good almost idiot proof recovery machine is about $5000. Plus maintenance and whatever goes missing / lost / broken / reclamation… Couple this with the new “freon” and the now “old R134” I don’t see where this is a “necessary” tool.

The simple fact of “servicing a mobile ac system” is that when the system has a system failure, it is usually something catastrophic in the system, and there is no refrigerant to recover. A "recovery system would be “nice” for adding the proper amount of freon by weight, but not at the cost of $5k.

2 Likes