A treasure trove of maker goodness (Hording Trigger Warning)

I’ll meet you at he warehouse Walter.

If anyone is still there, I will try to swing by, but it will probably be after 3 before I can make it. Nothing like getting called into work for bs stuff…

If you have any, even latent propensities towards hoarding, and don’t need more stuff in your life: DO NOT GO. If you are a true hacker - gold mine.

Does anyone with access to the building want to take another trip over sometime tomorrow?

I am back in town now and going to the shop. I thought you would have made it over by now with some of the others.
I will be back and forth during the day . I will stop by DMS first and see who may be around . I have a 2:30 appointment in
Dallas so I’ll need to leave by 2:00 . I will be at DMS this morning around 11:30 or so .

Any more trips planned to your place, Fred? I saw some casters there I’d like to use in the foundry to make a storage case for some stained glass panes.

I can meet you or @wandrson or @artg_dms there pretty much anytime this week.

Thanks for opening up your shop to all of us at DMS. You’ve got a marvelous collection of things there.

[Not directed at coloneldan, but a general post to everyone]

Please remember to treat this opportunity like the gift it is. Here are some rules to follow when you are in the Warehouse of Wonder:

1. Don’t increase entropy – dumping out containers to claim the container is not excellent, nor is combining two containers of different things together.

2. Don’t damage things – one man’s junk is another man’s treasure, so try your best not to kick, smash, step, knock off, etc anything on the way to claiming your treasure. If you do knock something over, pick it (or the pieces of it) up!

3. Don’t be greedy – if there are 10,000 of something and you think 1,000 would take care of you for life, leave the other 9,000 for the next treasure seeker

4. If in doubt, ask – there are some things which are off limits, but are not well marked (yet). If it seems too good to be true, ask Art, Walter, Fred (or even me).

Be respectful and have fun!

4 Likes

When I went the last time there was a guy dumping out boxes onto the floor and then walking away from them when he was done looking through them.

I also was told that Fred needs to clear the warehouse for his landlord. We should offer to help Fred do this in whatever manner he decides is appropriate.

I for one and very grateful that Fred has agreed to allow DMS members to select things from his collection. It is a remarkable collection and I’ve seen things there that I’ve never seen elsewhere (like the YAG lasers).

Zack, @zmetzing , thanks for the reminder and the advice. It is amazing the amount of things to look at there.
It simply cannot be encompassed in a single trip.

4 Likes

I will absolutely be there to help Fred when he needs it. I hope many others besides Dan and I are there … besides might find something we missed!

Yeah, that is pretty crappy behavior. I too am in for whatever Fred needs done to get his space into the shape he needs.

@wandrson I met you at the Vintage computer group meeting last night (12/5/15) and you mentioned a trip to this warehouse was planned for today (Sun 12/6). Let me know when you’re meeting there. Thanks!

Is there a timeline to this effort? After going over today, and being quite overwhelmed, I know I’m going to think of some things I’d like to grab later.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I know a bunch of people went over there today and I didn’t see them come back from DMS as of 8pm… wow!
I did notice that there was a bunch of older-than-usual electronics equipment on the free shelf in the warehouse. Please remember that we should only put things there that other people may reasonably want. I’m not writing this to judge people or anything, but please keep in mind that anything not picked up in 2-4 weeks has to be thrown in the dumpster by a volunteer, and most of these older pieces of technology are very heavy.

I took bits of this equipment, so I think it might qualify as something others may reasonably want. :smile:

2 Likes

This effort has been ongoing for some weeks now. I suspect it will continue until the end of the year, based on the rate things are disappearing.

I would be interested in anything that could be used in this project. My hubby is willing to make one for me. I will share it with the space and even take care of the TSP solution.

http://mrtitanium.com/anodizer.html

The guy who wrote that is confused:

Grounding: If the circuit is not plugged into a grounded outlet, the GFCI protection won’t help.

GFCI do not use ground in any part of their protection. They only measure power out on hot and returned on neutral and trip if the imbalance is too big… (usually about 5mA)

You use a TSP and water solution for the anodizing, so maybe that is why he mentioned grounding it. How would you suggest changing it to make better or more clear?

That language is part of his disclaimers. And the anodizing current is between hot and neutral. He doesn’t carry ground past the GFCI that I can see in the diagram.

I’m just cautioning that if misunderstands how a GFCI works to that extent, what else is less than accurate?

2 Likes

I had a nice well done set of directions for one and I gave it to a friend’s hubby. He promised to make one for us, and he never got around to it. (yep, now an ex hubby)

I will see if I can find a better version of the plans