A treasure trove of maker goodness (Hording Trigger Warning)

I took bits of this equipment, so I think it might qualify as something others may reasonably want. :smile:

2 Likes

This effort has been ongoing for some weeks now. I suspect it will continue until the end of the year, based on the rate things are disappearing.

I would be interested in anything that could be used in this project. My hubby is willing to make one for me. I will share it with the space and even take care of the TSP solution.

http://mrtitanium.com/anodizer.html

The guy who wrote that is confused:

Grounding: If the circuit is not plugged into a grounded outlet, the GFCI protection won’t help.

GFCI do not use ground in any part of their protection. They only measure power out on hot and returned on neutral and trip if the imbalance is too big… (usually about 5mA)

You use a TSP and water solution for the anodizing, so maybe that is why he mentioned grounding it. How would you suggest changing it to make better or more clear?

That language is part of his disclaimers. And the anodizing current is between hot and neutral. He doesn’t carry ground past the GFCI that I can see in the diagram.

I’m just cautioning that if misunderstands how a GFCI works to that extent, what else is less than accurate?

2 Likes

I had a nice well done set of directions for one and I gave it to a friend’s hubby. He promised to make one for us, and he never got around to it. (yep, now an ex hubby)

I will see if I can find a better version of the plans

Neither an isolation transformer nor a GFCI (GFI, RCD, etc.) will help if you get between Hot and Neutral.

The isolation transformer allows the circuit to float the potential of whatever your other hand happens to be sitting on when you touch the wrong thing inside of the chassis. No current (or very little) flows and you are safe.

A GFCI doesn’t float the circuit, but does detect that current on Hot and Neutral differ by more than the trip current, and then pop the internal breaker.

The mechanisms of operation are quite different, but the protection afforded by either solution is roughly equivalent.

1 Like

Can we expect another visit this weekend? I’ve been twice and always find something interesting. Fred is responsive to emails if you have questions.

I have rented a box truck w/ a lift gate for this weekend. Primarily this is to get the 2 H.A.S.T. chambers for the Machine Shop and Science committees, but if anyone else needs help moving large items from MilTec to DMS this weekend we can try to fit those in. I will likely be making the trip(s) Saturday and/or Sunday afternoon.

2 Likes

@artg_dms perhaps this would be a good opportunity to get the cabinet of drawers over to the electronics room?

And where is this supposed cabinet of drawers gonna go? We have too much stuff from MilTec as it is. If you find room great but don’t just dump it in the middle of the room. Pretty Please :wink:

Art would be better to answer, but the thought we had was that we could replace much of the existing parts storage with these cabinets. And we were talking about constructing a platform with castors for them to rest on so they could be moved about (less of an obstacle then the existing tower of parts).

Awesome, BTW the tower of doom and the cart need to go. If the cabinet then fits great, all for it.

Heading over this afternoon to check out scrap and such, should anyone wish to join me.

1 Like

Any idea on what your schedule is? There arr 4 cabinets that go to DMS. They can be moved w/pu, but the box truck would probably make it a lot easier.

Damn I’m in Oklahoma or I’d be there to help move Machine Shop’s and CA’s cabinet. Will you be doing it on Saturday or Sunday - may be able to cut trip short and make it Sunday.

That would be a great help in getting the Teledyne wafer probes out, especially if I can then store them at DMS for 48 hours while I make necessary arrangements.

CA would like to see if a vacuum pump is available at the space to be used for several different things. Please let us know.

There is a vacuum pump on the bottom right auto shelves, not sure on its state, never tried to use it.