A task for a volunteer!

First, let me start by saying I would do this myself, but I have already made a lot of commitments and don’t know how soon I could get to it, but I would like to see it done.

Second, it should be pretty easy task to accomplish!

I would like to see someone design and laser cut (or however) a small stand to hold the 5C collets we have, with a little extra capacity for future acquisitions, say 10-12 collets. Yes this item could be purchased, but it should be a quick and easy project for someone.

So anyone willing to take this one on?

Are these dimensions accurate?
(from http://www.metalartspress.com/books/chapters/chapter-3-tapers-dowel-pins-fasteners-key-concepts)

I think a 1 1/2" tall plywood box, using the tabbed box maker in Inkscape, with a series of 1.25"+ holes cut into the top would work.

I’ll mock something up - should be pretty easy.

If you wanted labels under the holes ( a place for everything…) I’d need a list of collet sizes to etch into the wood.

1 Like

Would this work? Neck of collets would simply stick out of the top of the box - no lid.

3 Likes

That should work great! Thank you very much for doing this.

I’ve never seen that inkscape extension, looks really interesting!

p.s. if your planning on cutting this with the laser cutter, could you label the front Machine Shop 5C Collets?
We don’t really need the individual collets holes labeled. Thx!

It is installed on the Laser PC’s Inkscape. It does the tabs, but not the holes.
Tabbed Box Maker: http://www.keppel.demon.co.uk/111000/111000.html

Here’s the updated version of the Collet Holder:

1 Like

Looks great! Thank you!

Tried this once couldnt get the joints to line up

I have used the box maker in Inkscape before to make acrylic boxes. You have to tinker with the kerf and cut to get the joints to fit together, but after you dial it in, it works great. The boxes I made snapped together without any glue at all!

1 Like

Try 0.01" for the kerf. The default is 0.1" which makes for wacky tab alignment unless you’re cutting outside the line with (for example) a fret saw.

1 Like

@wandrson I cut out the box, but did not get a chance to glue it up. The assembled, booby-trapped, ready to fall back apart box pieces are in the metalworking area. Feel free to get it glued up and put into use since it’ll be a week before I can get back down to the DMS.

Glue the lid on last so that you can have access to glue the holey smooth-sided rectangle inside the bottom to catch the ends of the collets when in place.

1 Like

Thanks for taking care of this. I’ll glue it up tomorrow.