A Question From a Member To Be

Given the rule allows for special considerations, I’m happy to after a one on one, but personally I’d want a parent to be present before such an exception were granted so they can be part of the conversation.

I learned to weld stick on our farm at an even younger age, and I got in trouble with the FAA with one of my rockets at the tender age of 13. It’s doable but not for everyone.

Cheers,
-Jim

1 Like

Machine Shop requires the parent or guardian to take the class concurrently or before the minor (16-17 y/o) before the minor is allowed to use the Sherlines. This is to ensure the parent knows what risks the minor is being exposed to. No saying “I didn’t know it was that dangerous.” This helps protect DMS and allows the minor to use machine on heir own.

They can use other machines with direct adult supervision, from Machine Shop wiki:

Minimum Age To Use Tools:

You MUST be a minimum of age of 18 to use any powered tools unsupervised in the Machine Shop.

If between age of 16 and 18 years old and a member (add-on) that has been trained on that machine, they may use it under the close, immediate, and active supervision of the Parent or Guardian that has also received training and qualified to use that machine. “Close, immediate, and active supervision” means the parent/guardian is physically standing next to the minor, observing and supervising so as to be capable of taking immediate action in the event of injury or machine malfunction. Texting, talking on a phone or use of another electronic device while the machine is operating constitutes failure to actively supervise. If you need to use the device, stop the machine and resume when you can resume full attention.

Exception: 16 and 17 year old add-on members. You may take the Bench Top Sherline Mill and Lathe classes concurrently with a parent or guardian or if the parent or guardian has completed the class. This is an exception to the Machine Shop Rule that powered machines may only be used by members 18 or older. 16 or 17 year old that completes these requirements may use the machine unattended by a parent or guardian.

If you decide to try some things in Jewelry and small Metals, both Sue and I do not have any issures
with teaching younger folks I think out youngerst studetn was 4, not at DMS

2 Likes

This is the kind of discussion I’d like to have with them and @Team_Metal_Shop ; last I checked we don’t have a more formal process of such special consideration, but as part of making a better defined structure it could be an option. Or if not the welders, maybe still the PlasmaCAM since your hands are away from the equipment during operation, or the brake/shear.
Alternatively I end up requiring one of the Parents get the membership and add the minor and they do the heavy work concurrently.

-Jim

1 Like

Each committee has to decide. Machine Shop was 18+, then we got the Sherlines and at a meeting we said these don’t have the same risk as as the industrial machines and made what we considered a reasonable accommodation. Things aren’t static.

Cold Cut Saw in my opinion is something a 16 y/o could safely use.

I’m sure many of us had welding and machine in HS shop, I had wood shop in JHS. Big difference there is teachers/adults actively supervising and school districts had governmental immunity or very limited liability from lawsuits. I believe when I took my last refresher on TIG there were at least two under 18 students, so not sure what requirements (could be over 18, anybody that doesn’t have an AARP card looks like a minor anymore)

I know some instructors won’t teach under 18 for fear of possible liability if the get hurt - or at least named in lawsuit. Not an unreasonable position to take.

Complex issue. No one answer.

@AlexRhodes @John_Marlow The Matrix didn’t take into account age did it?

Question does a parent have to become a member to take said class with me because I asked them about it and I got the respons. “I trust that you know what your doing but I’m not going to pay 50$ to get you in” my dilemma. If they can just come take the class with me that would be nice

For machine Shop - Yes. Not sure on other committees. Will also vary by tool.

1 Like

OK. Thank everyone for the input i really like this community my plan is I will join ( i could REALLY use the electronic room) Ill sign my father up for a month do all the training i need with him then after that see what i can do. Cant wait to work on some fun projects. last and final question how long dose it take for them to get back to me on the student rate I sent a message so my goal is to join by this Thursday so I can start laser training (got some balsa that need working)

2 Likes

On signing up your parent for a month to take classes, before you just sign them up, get the most from that month by timing it when the class(es) would fall. As in don’t assume the critical class would fall in their month without checking first.

I say this because some areas don’t necessarily have classes every single month. If it’s not on the schedule, talk to the usual instructor and see when a new one would fall. Strategize to get the most out of the month, and have a Plan B (extra month) if trying to fit in several things that may be spread out or between departments

Welcome to DMS!

1 Like

@Snickerdoodle, you will want to read this thread.

1 Like

We had discussed it but I don’t think we made that a requirement when deciding things.

Red being 18+ no matter what.
Orange would have been 16+ with guardian or we talk about requiring guardian to take class as well so they understood risks but then allowing the 16+ access to machine after that.
Yellow would have been anyone with guardian for under 16. No guardian needed for 16+
Green being anyone and everyone.

3 Likes

anyone know who answers the “accounts” emails?
@Team_Infrastructure

Two things to point out.
(1) You can’t have both the student rate and the add-on rate at the same time. In the month(s) that your parent is a member, the first person will be $50 and the second person will be $10, for a total of $60. @StanSimmons can advise you which person should be primary since you have a unique situation.
(2) When you become the only member, you aren’t going to have a problem qualifying for the student rate. You’re 16. We’re going to assume that you’re most likely a student! Someone will have to change your rate for you. It might be Stan - but if not, he can tell you who it will be.

1 Like

@John_Marlow has it right.

I would recommend that you become the primary member and have your parent(s) as addons, that way it will be simple to drop them off and change your rate to the student rate when the time comes.

3 Likes

Thank you all due to your input I decided to join dms my first day will be on Thursday. Once again thank you all.

5 Likes

I plan on being there Thurs night I will be back in jewelry

Completely random question but on the machine shop wiki it says “You MUST be a minimum of age of 18 to use any powered tools unsupervised in the Machine Shop.” does that mean just large tools or all powered devices. I know im young but I’m fairly certain that if I use a cordless drill im not going to lose a leg. :slight_smile:

We have different areas that have different rules. The machine shop has many large tools, however, the cordless tools are not part of that area and are not covered by those rules.

The cordless tools should be alright to use (as long as you keep them away from your legs j/k )

1 Like

If you are 16 or 17, and you and a parent have taken the training you you can use the Sherline Mill and Lathe.

What I’d like to ask you do, after joining, is attend the committee meeting of Machine Shop and Metal Shop and advocate why you believe the age limits should be changed. You may or may not see the rules the changed. But you will get to have your voice heard. Also, showing up at these meetings will show you have a level of commitment.

Being open and honest here, not an attack. I think everyone believes there is a wide range of maturity and situational awareness between members, especially those under 18. Unlike HS, we don’t supervise those working with our tools. Safety and liability are major concerns. An internal question we have is: How do we tell/identify those minors that are capable of handling the equipment safety in objective way? Help us with that. Our perspective is from that of adults, opinions tempered by their own experiences with their own kids.

You may want to try and get other 16 & 17 y/o’s together to discuss this and come up with proposals. There are many of you.

Look forward to seeing you Make things at DMS.

Welcome

3 Likes

I am reminded of a certain 13 year old (hello @NickWebb), three years ago, who wanted to take the Tascam training from Digital Media. He introduced himself to the chair, asked permission to take the class, got to know her, went on to take other Digital Media classes and went to the committee meetings. Result: he had access to some pretty cool, expensive equipment and enjoyed the heck out of it. Of course, none of it would take his fingers off or burn the place down. But still…expensive!

Come to think of it…introducing one’s self to the chair, going to committee meetings, taking class…that should be the path forward for any member - youth or adult - wanting to dive into an area.

5 Likes