A Question From a Member To Be

Hi, my name is Blake I am your typical tinkerer I like to make thing little circuits, cool gadgets, model rockets, etc and recently due to private reasons I have outgrown my garage. I am wondering if this workspace would be good for a guy who likes to invent. But a big catch (the part that will probably keep me out) I am currently only 16 years of age which I do believe excludes me from most if not all of the tools I would use to like say work on my larger amateur rockets or bigger radio controlled planes.
I was wondering if anyone would recommend this place even with the major restrictions and if there was any way to say with proper training and lots of forms find a way to move around or at least make it less harsh. I thank you all for any support or ideas. If there is a way I do try to be more of a helpful member of society I clean up after people help if I can the usual.
Also, final note I have a feeling that members are going to say bring a parent/guardian and while that is a fantastic idea my lovely parents would rather stay home and watch the telly than pay $50 a month to watch me make noise.

Have a wonderful day DMS.

(got kicked out of the garage because I was too loud)

4 Likes

Welcome aboard, Blake.

Full-time students qualify for a special $35/month rate.

This part of the rules cover those under 18:

Minors

• The DMS is not a day care.

• Minors 15 and under must be accompanied closely by Parent or Legal Guardian at all times and are not allowed to have keys to the space.

• Accompanied closely means visual range generally, and immediate reach when near dangerous tools.

• Parents/Legal Guardians are responsible for their children and their actions.

• Minors under the age of 18 must have their liability form signed by a Parent or Legal Guardian.

I am not familiar with the process, but I think you can take a copy of the form home to get them to sign it.

The several committees may have other rules. For example, Machine Shop will give you full access rights to the Sherline lathe and mills after you have taken the mandatory training classes.

Browse through the information for the several committees here: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Active_Committees

I am not sure, but I think you may be allowed to use the 3D printers and laser cutters after training. Maybe even the wood lathes. You will find no age restrictions for you in Electronics.

We also have an honorarium program in which you can get paid $50 for each qualifying class you teach. That can pay for your membership.

We no longer have an active aerospace committee, but three long-time members of the Dallas Area Rocket Society http://www.dars.org are DMS members. We usually have a rocket build session here at least once a month and you do not have to be a DMS member to come to those. The next one is Jul 10: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/5544

4 Likes

I know we do have some younger members who do interesting work here but I have no idea of their exact ages. I’ll tag an active parent to see if they have any further insight.

@heyheymama

1 Like

Just last week, I turned one of my Arduino classes over to a 16 year old. You are the next generation!

5 Likes

Does anyone know Ben’s talk handle?

3 Likes

@ TBenV …

3 Likes

Paging @TBenV … You might want to weigh in on this topic please.

4 Likes

I will tell you that age will not be a consideration when it comes to following rules and doing things the safe way.

For example, in machine shop: no loose clothing, neck ties, lanyards, jewelry, and no use of gloves when operating machinery. Keep long hair and lanyards tucked inside shirt. No open toed shoes and eye protection is to be worn at all times.

The Machine Shop group is a bit on the Safety Nazi side for good reason. These large 3 phase motor driven machines will rip flesh and bone apart in an instant and do not stall under that kind of load. They are very unforgiving.

There are plenty of classes on the calendar and people who will be happy to help you when using a machine for the first time after your training classes are finished. I’ve been helped and will help others.

Raymond

3 Likes

You will not be able to use the larger machines. This means the Bridgeport or the other 2 Large Lathes. I don’t recall in Metal Shop on the age requirements.

1 Like

When I create welding classes I select 18+ because my opinion on welding is you have to have a pretty level head to be safe about it. If the committee feels differently I’m happy to lower that to the 16+.

@hon1nbo Do you have knowledge of the rule on this?

1 Like

I seem to recall it is 18 and up for everything in Metal Shop though a case may be made for 16 and up for the brake, shear and drill press.

1 Like

Blake, come on downnnnnnnnnn.

I have been asking around and you are free welcome to use the laser cutters and 3D printers after taking the required classes (free!)

4 Likes

The Metal Shop wiki says,

"Minimum age to use any equipment in the Metal Shop is 18 years old, unless noted otherwise on the tool’s page, or with special dispensation from the current Metal Shop chair. "

There are no exceptions listed on the welding page.

2 Likes

For clarification, he means that the classes are free. Both of those machines have nominal costs for the “consumables”. Lasers are $1 for each five minutes (or portion thereof) of actual run time. 3D printers require you to weigh your print and pay by the gram (edit: if you use DMS-supplied filament). Someone else (who knows more than I do) can tell you the current price for standard ABS.

1 Like

if you use DMS supplied filament…

4 Likes

Thanks for all the helpful input I was most worried about the age limit for the wood shop and the machine shop (im not exactly going to be forging metal anytime soon) not being able to use the very large and complex machines is fine just more of the small tools I really need. If its any help I do take a engineering class at my high school we use all kinds of “dangerous” items such as circular saws and lathes. BUT thanks all for your input its nice too know just because im a little older im not treated like if I pick up a screw driver I’ll end up in the hospital.

4 Likes

Note. I do know that the majority of 16 year old guys would be there just to mess around possibly breaking stuff or hurting themselves or others. I just want this lovely community to know that too most im considered a how you say Geek. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you will find you are very welcome to join DMS and will be able to work on many things except some of the biggest machines till you are 18. However, some older members would probably help out on occasion with the biggest machines. The only thing is you can do any work (except ignite rockets inside!) but can’t just leave your work laying around like one might in their garage. There is some short term storage ability available though.

Also, if you could get a parent to join with you, they would pay regular dues but you would be added for only $10 extra making it only $30 for each. Either way I hope you join soon!

1 Like

If you become a member there are a core group of woodshop guys that will always be willing to help you. It’s hard to find a time there isn’t one of us around that would be happy to run a table saw, miter saw, jointer, or planer for you. Hope you join and make some awesome projects!

2 Likes

Am hoping @toussaintpeg, @NickWebb, and @Sawyer14 will weigh in about their teen Maker experiences here.

16+ definitely welcome in Laser, which just happens to be chaired by the mom of a teen (waves). Training is required. Take one of our Laser 101 or 102 classes ASAP to make the most of your summer.

3 Likes